Dick

Default Offshore Sailing Advice

Your biggest problem will be picking a weather window in advance so you can
tell the charter company when you want the boat. I personaly like to wait till
I see the window and then leave.

You can probably rent the liferaft in a bag and an epirb if you want them, but
I do not know where you would do that in New York.

For seasickness you can take something like Bonnie the day before and the
morning you leave and then the next day. Seasickness doesn't last more than
three days for most people. For fatigue you can only go sailing before you go
and get use to it. If you are not use to it you will get vary tired. You will
not make good decisions when you are tired so make sure everyone gets enough
rest.

Dick

Need some advice on safety equipment for sailing a little offshore. Our
plan is to charter a boat and sail out of New York for about 200 miles than
come back. The idea is to gain some offshore experience but without taking
too much risk.

There will be six of us, three experienced coastal sailors and three
beginners. I have done a little racing offshore (Newport to Bermuda) and

some limited heavy weather sailing but that's it.

The 42' boat will be fairly well equipped with a lifesling, harnesses
etc. but without a few essential items: liferaft, SSB radio, EPIRB, 2nd

VHF. Can we manage without these? We intend to be at sea for only 4-5 days,

so we should have a fairly good idea about the weather but things can
always change.

I expect the biggest problem to be seasickness and fatigue among the
beginners. Any advice on managing that?

engsol

I hope the three novices aren't close friends. If they do get seasick,
they will hate you, and never sail again in all likelyhood.
I like the suggestion of another poster...go 25 miles out and sail in
circles...it'll be the same as 200 miles, but if the weather (or crew)
goes sour, you're only looking at 5 hours or so to find shelter.
If it were just the three experienced people, I'd go for the 200
miles.
As far as equipment is concerned..how lucky do you feel?
Norm B

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:47:16 GMT, " wrote:

[...]

Regards,
Sail

Wayne.B

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:47:16 GMT, "
wrote:
[...]

I think you've overlooked some important details that could end up
costing you a great deal in personal liability if something goes
wrong. Unless you work a special deal with the charter company, the
boat is probably insured only for coastal cruising, usually no more
than 50 to 100 miles offshore, possibly less. Without approval of the
charter company for your venture, you will be in violation of your
agreement, and might even be exposed to criminal charges. If
something goes wrong things will get ugly.

Next, as others have pointed out, you're missing some essential safety
equipment, especially the EPIRB, liferaft and SSB. The EPIRB and
liferaft can be rented (try JT's in Newport among others). Without at
least an SSB receiver you will be unable to receive the high seas
weather broadcasts which is an essential offshore capability and
skill. In addition to the above, I would also add a man overboard
pole with attached strobe, and at least one other strobe attached to a
throwable device.

Regarding sea sickness, your biggest risk is with the EXPERIENCED
sailors in the group, not the inexperienced. It can happen to anyone
regardless of experience. The only remedy I've seen which is close to
100% effective are the scopalomine ear patches. They require a
doctors's prescription and carefully following directions.

In my opinion a better plan would be to sail south down the New Jersey
coast and up Delaware Bay to the C&D Canal. Youl'll have about two
days of potentially interesting conditions each way, along with an
interesting destination and some good seafood at the half way point.

Jeff Morris

I'd agree with all the comments, and I'll add an other possibility. You could
cross from Boston to Bar Harbor, Maine (and return). There are also about 50
great destination in the vicinity of Mt. Desert. The trip is roughly 200 miles
each way, and you'll be 25 miles or more offshore much of the way. You'll be
out of sight of land, possibly even when you get there! I've done this
mini-passage at number of times and I've never thought of it as requiring
offshore gear such as epirb's etc., but you definitely get the feeling of being
"out there." Depending on the conditions you adjust the course and destination
to ensure a safe and happy venture.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:47:16 GMT, "
wrote:
[...]

Jeff Morris

I'd agree with all the comments, and I'll add an other possibility. You could
cross from Boston to Bar Harbor, Maine (and return). There are also about 50
great destination in the vicinity of Mt. Desert. The trip is roughly 200 miles
each way, and you'll be 25 miles or more offshore much of the way. You'll be
out of sight of land, possibly even when you get there! I've done this
mini-passage at number of times and I've never thought of it as requiring
offshore gear such as epirb's etc., but you definitely get the feeling of being
"out there." Depending on the conditions you adjust the course and destination
to ensure a safe and happy venture.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:47:16 GMT, "
wrote:
[...]

Trepplier

Read "How to Get Started on Ocean Sailing", available at Amazon, for about $10.

Trepplier

Read "How to Get Started on Ocean Sailing", available at Amazon, for about $10.

Lee Huddleston

I expect the biggest problem to be seasickness and fatigue among the
beginners. Any advice on managing that?

Regards,
Sail

TransDermScop are the scopolamine patches that you put behind your
ear to prevent seasickness. They do take a doctor's perscription but
that is very easy to get. They are wonderful. I would not sail
without them.

They were taken off the market briefly because some people were
getting double vision. It turned out that folks were handling the
patches and not washing their hands afterwards. (After all, they do
work by going throught the skin.) Then they would rub their eyes,
getting the scopolomine into their eyes.

The patches are put on an hour or more before you depart. They work
for several days. By that time your body will have adjusted to the
sea motion. They make you a little dry mouthed but they do not put
you to sleep as many of the other medications do.

By all means do get good seasickness medicine and let everyone test it
on themselves a week before departing. If someone reacts poorly to
the mediicine, they will have time to get a substitute medicine.
Seasickness is not just an extreme discomfort. It can render you and
your crew dangerously ineffective at the worst possible time.

Rent an EPIRB and a liferaft. Then GO !! If you wait until
everything is perfect you will never get out there. Don't be cowed by
thoughts of liability. Just fully inform your crew well in advance
what they are getting into. Adults have a right to make choices and
take risks. As long as they understand that you do not have a certain
piece of equipment, they have assumed the risk. Sailors have been
sailing for a long time without most of the equipment you named.
Occasionally they died; but the statistics say that the chances are
very slim. You are probably safer sailing than staying home. Also,
these days the risks (assuming that you have a reasonably well found
vessel and some experienced crew), are more running into a container
or being run down by a large ship.

And do go out 200 miles. There is something psychological about doing
that. Sure, you might die, but, then again, you might live -- really
live.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove
lying Sea Gate Marina