Mr Wizzard

Default Stern drive oil usage: 2005 Merc Cruiser 3.0/A-1

Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!

Woodchuck

No it should go down. But since it is new I would keep an eye on the level
and see where it goes. If it continues to go down then you got a leak. Also
the level will change some due to the rise and drop of gear oil temperature.

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!

John H

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:11:11 -0700, "Mr Wizzard" wrote:

Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!

Mine did much the same after some outdrive work. Fill it and check it again
after running. You'll probably see much less consumption. If it still drops a
half inch in one day's running, look for an oil slick forming from a bad seal
somewhere. Get it checked out then.
--
John H

Mr Wizzard

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
.. .

No it should go down.

It should go down, or no it should "not" go down ?

Book says if you need to add more than 2 Oz, you
got a leak. So tomorrow I'll add oil to bring it back
up to where it was, but I think that will be over 2 Oz
(although not by much).

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!

seeray28

I have the exact same boat. after the second time out I had to add od oil to
the monitor/resivior, since then I havent had to add oil (about 15 hours
ago). I think that when the dealer installs the drive they are not getting
all the air out of the system. At least thats my assumption.
How is the boat running otherwise. When your at idle does the engine sound
like it wants to die due to too low of idle. Mine idles fine but has that
too low of idle setting lope.
Steve
"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!

Mr Wizzard

"seeray28" wrote in message

I have the exact same boat. after the second time out I had to add od oil

the monitor/resivior, since then I havent had to add oil (about 15 hours
ago). I think that when the dealer installs the drive they are not getting
all the air out of the system. At least thats my assumption.
How is the boat running otherwise. When your at idle does the engine sound
like it wants to die due to too low of idle. Mine idles fine but has that
too low of idle setting lope.

Dude!, this is scary! - reading this is like listening to "me"!
You describe EXACTALLY what I've noticed. Cool.
So, yeah, it was after the secod time I noticed the oil
go down some. The first time out really didn't count
since it was like gor 10-15 minutes, and I think I got it
up on a slow plane for like 15 seconds max, then came in.
Runs GREAT. And yeah, it is a charactoristic for this
3.0 to have that "too low of an idle lope/wanting to die
sound/feel" - even my neighbor kept mentioning this.
But it never does die, I'll give it that. Being new to big
boats (non-Zodiac boats), the guy I was with kept
having me practice coming into the dock at 90 degrees
and turning it to get it to so sideways and walk it in to
the dock. Anyways, that was all idling maneouvers,
and throughout that whole time it was loping and
sounding like it wanted to die. but it never ever does.

So quick Q, when you had to add oil, how much
diid you have to add? Also, do me a favor, go out
and check your trim gague. Turn the key on, (put in
ear plugs for that blaring alarm), and run the drive unit
all the way down then check to see exactally where the
trim gague points. Mine is not pointing exactally on
the full down position on the gague - its up 1/8 inch
from the full down mark, and hte sender is set as far
as it can be set to one side. no biggie.

So tell me more - how many hours you got on
yours so far ? This is so fun! (being able to talk
to someone with he exact sam boat) that rocks!

Thanks!!

Steve
"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!

seeray28

You know, I never really noticed that my trim gauge is off, thanks now I see
that mine is the same as yours.
In regards to the od oil I added maybe 20 cc to bring it up to the spot
where the oil was the night I bought the boat ( slightly above the full
line) since then that is where it has stayed.
I have about 35 hours on mine so far , since I first got the boat I have
noticed that the fuel consumption is actually getting better. Either the
engine is starting to loosen up or I am getting better with the trim , all I
know is that when we first got it, it would take 6 gallons to get to our
favorite area on the river and back. Now we are down to 4 gallons.. Have you
taken it up to its top speed yet (oh wait you cant till 20 ish hours) IT
RIDES LIKE HELLin slight chop, but then again it is a 17.5 foot boat. . I
think its funny that the book say WOT is 4800 and that the tach hits 4800 at
wot no more no less. Ive never had a boat do that before.
One thing I wish bayliner would have done is fill the area under the floor
with some form of insulation. It does get kinda loud with the waves and
ripples filtering thru the hull.
ANother thing I found was that this boat really likes 3200 rpm. or 28mph. At
that speed your actually moving and not a sitting duck, and the ride is so
much smoother.

One last thing, I talked to the mechanic the nite we got the boat, he stated
that there was no anti-sieze compound on the spark plugs. I took out the
plugs and put some one, I wuold suggest you do the same..
So have you gotten a rock stuck in your thermostat yet.

Steve

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!

Mr Wizzard

"seeray28" wrote in message

You know, I never really noticed that my trim gauge is off, thanks now I

see
that mine is the same as yours.

So yours is off a little bit too then ?

In regards to the od oil I added maybe 20 cc to bring it up to the spot
where the oil was the night I bought the boat ( slightly above the full
line) since then that is where it has stayed.

Same here. Just had it out for another 6 hours today,
and it didn't move at ALL after adding that 20 cc .

I have about 35 hours on mine so far , since I first got the boat I have
noticed that the fuel consumption is actually getting better. Either the
engine is starting to loosen up or I am getting better with the trim , all

know is that when we first got it, it would take 6 gallons to get to our
favorite area on the river and back. Now we are down to 4 gallons..

Cool, cause I was worried about that. SAME thing - took me 1/4
tank to get out to that favorite sopt which didn't seem that far. Also,
you will notice that the tank/gague is non linier near full - the first 1/4
tank goes fast, but takes a long long time to get down to 1/4 tank, and
when it does get to 1/4 tank, you can peek in there on the right of the
engine compartment, and it seems more like a 1/2 tank is left.

Have you
taken it up to its top speed yet (oh wait you cant till 20 ish hours)

Ah, well, I think I "accidently" slipped and hit full throttle.
it does 45 Mph, easy.

IT RIDES LIKE HELLin slight chop,

Man, no **** dude! - it beat the HELL out
of me today with slight chop. That bothers me
a little bit, but I'm new to fiberglass boats, so
I don't know smooth from rought. However
when I could stand going more that about 25
or 30, people were passing me up like nothing.

but then again it is a 17.5 foot boat.

Well, yeah, and maybe thats the downside of
this boat. Price was good, but its no yacht.

I think its funny that the book say WOT is 4800 and
that the tach hits 4800 at wot no more no less. Ive never
had a boat do that before.

Is that good, or bad? (new to these boats) So
not sure what you mean by "you never had a boat do
that before " - you mean hit 4800 at WOT no
matter what?

But I gottta say, anything over 4000 for this motor
just "seems" too fast. Just the general sound of
it and all, just seems like its not happy over 4000.

One thing I wish bayliner would have done is fill the area under the floor
with some form of insulation. It does get kinda loud with the waves and
ripples filtering thru the hull.

Ah, BINGO! I said the SAME thing to by buddy today.
(You are sopt-on on calling em on this boat)

ANother thing I found was that this boat really likes 3200 rpm. or 28mph.

At
that speed your actually moving and not a sitting duck, and the ride is so
much smoother.

Dang dude, this is cool. That is my EXACT same observation!
It has some natural sweep-spot or something, and it really likes
EXACTALLY that 3200/28 Mph. Isn't that weird ?

One last thing, I talked to the mechanic the nite we got the boat, he

stated
that there was no anti-sieze compound on the spark plugs. I took out the
plugs and put some one, I wuold suggest you do the same..

Oh wow, thanks for the tip dude! I got tons of that
anti-seeze out in the garage. When you took out the
plugs, how'd they look ?

So have you gotten a rock stuck in your thermostat yet.

Ah, uh-oh... Is this a common problem? I did notice
that it runs at a little over 175 (I'da thought a little cooler)

Steve

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!

seeray28

my trim gauge is off abit, but it does not hinder operation so Im not
worried about it I usually trim out till the boat starts bouncing and then
go in till it just stops..
Fuel milage: I was worried about that as well. also you gotta take in mind
that the fuel tank is a little goofy. since its shaped like two boxes staked
on eachother with the top box half as big as the bottom, and the fuel sender
is on the top, our gas gauge is going to be inaccurate. One of these days Im
going to measure how much gas that top portion holds and mark that on the
tank .

Top speed Yeah accidents happen. The first nite my wife and I had ours out
it accidently jumped to 4500 rpm..

Fibreglass boats or wood or steel or concrete or playdough or Leggo's This
boat is rough at top speed.

WOT: I have never had a boat that did exactly what it should, thats the part
that amazes me. The book said 4800 rpm, Ill be damned the boat does 4800rpm.
I guess thats a benefit of owning somthing new.

Dont worry about the noise of the engine. If you look at this link you will
see that its GONNA BE LOUD

http://www.boattest.com/Yes-results-434.aspx

Sweet spot: I think its wierd that at 3200rpm its totally happy, but at
3100 it bitches and fights but at 3300 It bounces and complains and you cant
talk over it

My plugs looked great, was thinking of running a compression check just for
the hell of it but got lazy, besides my wife started to laugh at me and said
" just cant leave well enough alone can ya" thats when I decided to wax it
and not work on it

Thermostat: I have owned about 10 boats over the years and worked on about
20 boats over the years. Never in all that time had I got/found a rock stuck
in the t-stat. The night we picked up the boat, when the mechanic was giving
us the " we are going to try to eliminate any liability " tour, he mentioned
the temp gauge and said " if the temp gauge does not move off 120 then that
means you have a rock stuck in the thermostat, try going full throttle to
blow it out" .
DAMMIT that rock has been in there for about 6 hours now. I already removed
one and another just took its place. To hell with it, if it wants to come
out it can come out on its own...

so are you going to go out on the water today (7/4) I did last nite BIG
FREAKING MISTAKE. got tossed around like a pinball.

;
"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news