seeray28

You know, I never really noticed that my trim gauge is off, thanks now I see
that mine is the same as yours.
In regards to the od oil I added maybe 20 cc to bring it up to the spot
where the oil was the night I bought the boat ( slightly above the full
line) since then that is where it has stayed.
I have about 35 hours on mine so far , since I first got the boat I have
noticed that the fuel consumption is actually getting better. Either the
engine is starting to loosen up or I am getting better with the trim , all I
know is that when we first got it, it would take 6 gallons to get to our
favorite area on the river and back. Now we are down to 4 gallons.. Have you
taken it up to its top speed yet (oh wait you cant till 20 ish hours) IT
RIDES LIKE HELLin slight chop, but then again it is a 17.5 foot boat. . I
think its funny that the book say WOT is 4800 and that the tach hits 4800 at
wot no more no less. Ive never had a boat do that before.
One thing I wish bayliner would have done is fill the area under the floor
with some form of insulation. It does get kinda loud with the waves and
ripples filtering thru the hull.
ANother thing I found was that this boat really likes 3200 rpm. or 28mph. At
that speed your actually moving and not a sitting duck, and the ride is so
much smoother.

One last thing, I talked to the mechanic the nite we got the boat, he stated
that there was no anti-sieze compound on the spark plugs. I took out the
plugs and put some one, I wuold suggest you do the same..
So have you gotten a rock stuck in your thermostat yet.

Steve
"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

"seeray28" wrote in message

I have the exact same boat. after the second time out I had to add od

oil
the monitor/resivior, since then I havent had to add oil (about 15 hours
ago). I think that when the dealer installs the drive they are not

getting
all the air out of the system. At least thats my assumption.
How is the boat running otherwise. When your at idle does the engine

sound
like it wants to die due to too low of idle. Mine idles fine but has

that
too low of idle setting lope.

Dude!, this is scary! - reading this is like listening to "me"!
You describe EXACTALLY what I've noticed. Cool.
So, yeah, it was after the secod time I noticed the oil
go down some. The first time out really didn't count
since it was like gor 10-15 minutes, and I think I got it
up on a slow plane for like 15 seconds max, then came in.
Runs GREAT. And yeah, it is a charactoristic for this
3.0 to have that "too low of an idle lope/wanting to die
sound/feel" - even my neighbor kept mentioning this.
But it never does die, I'll give it that. Being new to big
boats (non-Zodiac boats), the guy I was with kept
having me practice coming into the dock at 90 degrees
and turning it to get it to so sideways and walk it in to
the dock. Anyways, that was all idling maneouvers,
and throughout that whole time it was loping and
sounding like it wanted to die. but it never ever does.

So quick Q, when you had to add oil, how much
diid you have to add? Also, do me a favor, go out
and check your trim gague. Turn the key on, (put in
ear plugs for that blaring alarm), and run the drive unit
all the way down then check to see exactally where the
trim gague points. Mine is not pointing exactally on
the full down position on the gague - its up 1/8 inch
from the full down mark, and hte sender is set as far
as it can be set to one side. no biggie.

So tell me more - how many hours you got on
yours so far ? This is so fun! (being able to talk
to someone with he exact sam boat) that rocks!

Thanks!!

Steve
"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!