Mr Wizzard

Default Stern drive oil usage: 2005 Merc Cruiser 3.0/A-1

Got my new 2005 Bayliner 17.5 Capi out on the BIG lake
for the fist time the other night for about 6 hours or so, and
I noticied that the little plastic "drive lube oil" resivour was
down about 1/2 inch - is this normal ? I checked it just before
I went out, and it was a tad bit over the top line of the operating
range, now its right between the two lines. So where did this
little bit of oil go? Its not much, I know, just wondering if its
normal for a brand new boat be using any grear lube oil at all.
(i.e., isn't this a closed system?) Or maybe that now since I
gave it a good work-out out on the lake, that its just settled,
or filled in all of the air pockets/voids in the outdrive?

Thanks!