Marty

Default Are my wife and kids nuts? July 4th weekend.

My wife and kids want to take the boat to our local lake (45 minutes away)
on Saturday and our friends lake (2 hours away) on the 4th this weekend.
I've never ventured out on a July 4th weekend for boating on LAKES. Do you
folks really enjoy boating on such a popular weekend? What's it take to
have a good time under extremely crowded conditions? Patience, and lots of
it, I assume. And sobriety until the boat and car driving are done for the
day, is my other assumption. And, finally, being with good family or good
friends or both, is my last first-to-mind assumption.

What are your tips and tricks that increase the odds of having a good time
on such a high-density weekend?

What's the latest you would get to your launch ramp each morning this
weekend?

Have a great, safe, sane, and fun 4th of July weekend!

Marty

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:07:20 GMT, "Marty" wrote:

My wife and kids want to take the boat to our local lake (45 minutes away)
on Saturday and our friends lake (2 hours away) on the 4th this weekend.
I've never ventured out on a July 4th weekend for boating on LAKES. Do you
folks really enjoy boating on such a popular weekend? What's it take to
have a good time under extremely crowded conditions? Patience, and lots of
it, I assume. And sobriety until the boat and car driving are done for the
day, is my other assumption. And, finally, being with good family or good
friends or both, is my last first-to-mind assumption.

I don't, but then I'm something of a straight arrow - I'd rather not
be put into a situation by somebody who can't control themselves. And
I've had my share of bad experiences including searching all night,
three dives and towing divers on a body recovery from a boat accident.

All that boat traffic on the big local lakes, Narragansett Bay and
Fisher's Island Sound makes me nervous.

What are your tips and tricks that increase the odds of having a good time
on such a high-density weekend?

Stay alert, stay alert, stay alert. If you think a situation is
developing, shut it down and wait for it to pass. Keep a 360º watch
because it's the idiots behind you that will cause you the most
problems. Don't drink anything alcoholic until you are finished
boating for the day and keep the sun exposure down to a minimum.

Wear your life jackets when under power. It looks dorky, but it can
save a life.

What's the latest you would get to your launch ramp each morning this
weekend?

Certainly before 9 AM, but that's a local thing.

Have a great, safe, sane, and fun 4th of July weekend!

Back at 'cha.
Glenn S.

We always stay home on Memorial Day weekend, July 4th weekend, and Labor Day
weekend. Boating is fun on a "normal" weekend but on a holiday weekend it's
just too crowded and CRAZY to bother with.

--
G.D.Smith
Harpers Ferry, WV

FOR SALE: 2003 Swee****er 22' Pontoon Boat
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/gs_pontoon01.html

FOR SALE: 1999 Fleetwood Mallard 37' Travel Trailer
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Mallard001,html

"Marty" wrote in message
m...
[...]

*JimH*

"Marty" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Take the boat out as you would on any weekend....but..........be especially
careful of the other boaters and be prepared for heavy ramp traffic.

Yes, you are correct in being concerned with the increased boat traffic and
boaters not knowing the basic rules of the road, but don't let them spoil
your weekend. Go slow. Be careful. Find a fairly secluded spot and drop
anchor for some fishing or swimming....and enjoy yourselves.

Sobriety is a good thing for you, the skipper, anytime but 2 or 3 beers over
a 4-6 hour period on the water (anchored) will not impair your driving
abilities or reaction time. Just go slow and enjoy the ride. NOTE: If
the goody 2 shoes here think differently they live in another world.

I cannot speak of the ramp traffic as I have not trailered a boat for some
20 years and you did not say where you boat.

rozz

Our local fireworks are over the water, and we always enjoy seeing them
that way. We get there early afternoon and anchor out, and then picnic
and play until afterwards, and then join the parade home. It's a great
experience, but we do see a few drunks etc. The local police and coast
guard are out in full force however and keep things pretty well under
control. Out boat is big enough that the kids can go to sleep below
after the fireworks and we can concentrate on driving. Maybe you want
to buddy up with someone else if you try it though. We usually meet up
with friends so we can raft off of each other and help watch the kids
together. Good Luck!! Rozz

Marty

"rozz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our local fireworks are over the water, and we always enjoy seeing them
that way. We get there early afternoon and anchor out, and then picnic
and play until afterwards, and then join the parade home. It's a great
experience, but we do see a few drunks etc. The local police and coast
guard are out in full force however and keep things pretty well under
control. Out boat is big enough that the kids can go to sleep below
after the fireworks and we can concentrate on driving. Maybe you want
to buddy up with someone else if you try it though. We usually meet up
with friends so we can raft off of each other and help watch the kids
together. Good Luck!! Rozz

Well, Saturday at the lake was surprisingly uneventful. Not to mention
pleasant.
We arrived at our nearest lake about 0930. The fog had just lifted and
there weren't any boats in line for the dock and plenty of truck/trailer
parking available nearby.
I don't know what the norm is, but the next guy in line turned on the blower
and fired her up for my wife while I was parking the truck. I wouldn't have
taken those liberties myself, but I'm new to the powerboat world where you
have to share ramp and dock space and someone is waiting on you (maybe
marina's should have valet parking - just kidding about that, I think).

Blue skies, warm water and no crowds and minimal traffic build up after
noon. Had a great day in spite of my worries! I'm glad I caved in to my
wife and kids.

I guess I'll let ya'll know how Monday goes at the big lake; I expect the
driving to/from will be the biggest problem (maybe I'll get lucky with that,
too).

Thanks for the tips and opinions.

Happy 4th!

Marty