scottht

Default I must be nuts!!

Ok, I think I am going crazy here. I bought a used SeaRay 21' mid cabin.
I was real happy with my purchase. Seemed like a huge step up from my
15' Starcraft open bow. I have a camp on Cross lake in upstate NY. That
is where I spent last weekend with it. Enjoying my new purchase, with my
wife and 2 kids we spent the night on it. Everything was great. This
weekend we went to Cayuga Lake near Ithaca NY. Lots of money in this
town. Cornell University and all. Well we get to the marina and the
first thing I notice is how little my boat is compared to all of these
boats.
Now all of a sudden I feel cramped in my little boat and I don't seem
to have enough room to breath. The kids are in my way everytime I turn
around, and I can't stop looking at my new neighbor. A 41' Maxim (sp).
SAhe is a beauty. I think I need help. My wife is getting real tired of
me complaining how little my new purchase is. I wonder, does it ever
stop?

NOYB

"3-footitis": No matter what you buy, in just a year or so, you'll end up
wishing your boat was 3 feet longer.

It sounds like you have a pretty serious case, however.

"scottht" wrote in message
[...]

Jack Redington

scottht wrote:

[...]

I have been satified with my 21 ft'er since we bought it in 96. Easy to
trailer. Easy on gas, We pull it after every use. Easy on storage cost :-)

It all depends on what ya want I guess.

Capt Jack R..

Paul

I suffer from the same condition and I just bought my boat too. But I also
can't afford a 41' anything for a few years yet so here is how me and the
wife handle it.

Firstly, we actually love our boat. Mostly because it's ours and we like
boating and we never thought we'd be able to have a boat. In fact on any
given weekend, at any given time one of us will look at the other and say,
"we have a boat!".

We talk about upgrades and "wouldn't it be nice" etc. and believe it or not
we already know much of what we'll look for in our second boat and even the
one after that. So when we get off on one of these chats we usually end it
with "well, that'll be on the next boat" or "the next next boat".

We also talk about other upgrades and we try to decide if these are things
we want to do on this boat. We realize that for us this is a starter boat so
we don't want to go sinking a ton of money into it, but on the other hand we
want to be comfortable for the next few years while we learn about boating
and get positioned to upgrade. So there are some things we're going to do to
this one to make it "better", the rest we'll just dream about and be
comfortable that we'll get it on "the next boat".

I think we did this as a coping mechanism because we want to enjoy our boat.
It meant a lot to us to be able to get it in the first place and, like
yours, it's not perfect for us but it's the best we could do.

So if I could give advice I would say don't not enjoy your boat. The one
beside you will always be better and that's fine, drool your face off and
keep drooling, but don't let it impact how you feel about *your* boat. Keep
it separate and if you're having trouble with that partition it by saying,
"on our next boat ...".

"scottht" wrote in message
[...]

jps

If you've purchased something that doesn't meet your needs, it's not a case
of 3 footitis. It's simply a mistake. 3 footitis is borne more from envy
than discomfort. Your situation sounds like you've shoehorned yourself
into a boat that may be too small.

There's two schools of thought here. Move up as you can afford it and make
do with what you can afford. The downside being that each successive
transaction upward eats into your "equity" or the amount you eventually
spend getting to a workable solution.

The other choice is to do a serious analysis on your real needs. In that
analysis you have to consider how many people you're cruising with, how much
room each person requires to meet minimum comfort standards, if you'll be
taking guests, how long you plan on staying out, what sort of outings do you
anticipate (at anchor in a cove or at a resort dock), the kinds of
activities you (I want to be able to fish and waterski) or pure comforts
like a permanent holding tank and a plumbing system, fresh water, etc.

All your answers will add up to a viable solution. So, let's say you need a
35' boat to meet your minimum needs. You start looking at boats that fit
your budget, if possible. That may put you in a brand new vessel or 25 year
old boat that makes you happy or anxious uncomfortable (because it may take
more maintenance, be an older style of vessel or other issues).

As you do research and look at various vessels you'll get a better feel for
what sacrafices you can afford in space, features, budget, etc. and,
eventually, you'll find a reasonable balance that'll allow you to make a
decision that's suitable for you and your family -- and know that you made
the decision consciously.

Rec.boats own Chuck Gould wrote an excellent primer on this decision process
called "How to Choose your first Powerboat." I'd highly recommend finding a
copy. Although I had been involved with powerboats since I was ten, I
picked up a copy and it helped me make a good decision the first time...that
was close to four years ago and I'm still pleased.

jps

Here's a link to the publisher's info sheet:

http://www.sheridanhouse.com/catalog...powerboat.html

"scottht" wrote in message
[...]

scottht

Now that is a great response. And it make perfect sense. I obviously
bought, what to me seemed the better boat for my price range. Yes, I
looked at bigger boats(26 - 28') but I felt the one I picked was a
better boat in terms of condition and price range. I was sticker shocked
when I first stepped into the show. The boat I want is $350,000.00
Yeah right, that will never happen. The SeaRay seemed real big out of
the water, and seems even bigger in my driveway. But when you put it in
the water and fill it with a weekends worth of gear. All of a sudden
there is no room. I guess it is make do with what I can afford. In a few
more years my girls will be off to college. Maybe there will be more
room then. Thanks for the response.

"scottht" wrote in message
[...]

jps

They all look really big until you're using them. Then space always becomes
an issue (except for those who've already launched our children into the
world).

Most of us want a boat that's beyond our means. Nothing wrong with
dreaming. I've been lusting after a 50' Hatteras that's sitting across the
marina from me. It's a stunningly beautiful boat that can still be handled
by two. Way, way beyond my means.

I bought a 14 year old boat that had been really well maintained. It
represented the best balance of space, features and affordability I could
find at the time.

If you reconsider at any point, have a look at the used market. It broadens
the options greatly.

jps

"scottht" wrote in message
Now that is a great response. And it make perfect sense. I obviously
bought, what to me seemed the better boat for my price range. Yes, I
looked at bigger boats(26 - 28') but I felt the one I picked was a
better boat in terms of condition and price range. I was sticker shocked
when I first stepped into the show. The boat I want is $350,000.00
Yeah right, that will never happen. The SeaRay seemed real big out of
the water, and seems even bigger in my driveway. But when you put it in
the water and fill it with a weekends worth of gear. All of a sudden
there is no room. I guess it is make do with what I can afford. In a few
more years my girls will be off to college. Maybe there will be more
room then. Thanks for the response.

scottht

Hi, I did basically the same. I bought a 17 year old SeaRay 21'. That
was well taken care of by a single owner. The boat came with all of the
original documentation including all of the installation manuals from
new assy. I don't have money to burn, but I do enjoy life. Someday
though, someday.