Bear

Default Evinrude 48SPL

I have about a 6 year old Evinrude 48 SPL that has a problem. It idles fine
and revs fine as long as it is not in gear but once you put it in gear
there is no power and it is hard to keep it running. I checked the foot for
gear lube and it seems fine. Put a water clamp on it and ran it in my
driveway and the prop turns freely. Rotated the prop by hand with the engine
off and it spins freely. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Bear

trainfan1

Bear wrote:
I have about a 6 year old Evinrude 48 SPL that has a problem. It idles fine
and revs fine as long as it is not in gear but once you put it in gear
there is no power and it is hard to keep it running. I checked the foot for
gear lube and it seems fine. Put a water clamp on it and ran it in my
driveway and the prop turns freely. Rotated the prop by hand with the engine
off and it spins freely. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Bear

One cylinder is not firing.

Rob
Harry Krause

Bear wrote:

I have about a 6 year old Evinrude 48 SPL that has a problem. It idles fine
and revs fine as long as it is not in gear but once you put it in gear
there is no power and it is hard to keep it running. I checked the foot for
gear lube and it seems fine. Put a water clamp on it and ran it in my
driveway and the prop turns freely. Rotated the prop by hand with the engine
off and it spins freely. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Bear

Check your plugs and plug wires.
CCred68046

If it will run and rev out of the water, on the muffs, and then it has no power
IN THE WATER on the lake... your carb(s) need to be rebuilt.
Calif Bill

"CCred68046" wrote in message
If it will run and rev out of the water, on the muffs, and then it has no

power
IN THE WATER on the lake... your carb(s) need to be rebuilt.

Check the timing. Check for good, bright spark from the plug wires. Spark
that jumps a big gap. Lots of other things than carbs reduce power.

F330 GT

"CCred68046" wrote in message
If it will run and rev out of the water, on the muffs, and then it has no

power
IN THE WATER on the lake... your carb(s) need to be rebuilt.

Check the timing. Check for good, bright spark from the plug wires. Spark
that jumps a big gap. Lots of other things than carbs reduce power.

I vote for carbs. Having had several 45hp Johnsons for about 25 years, I'd
about bet on it. Bet it's been sitting for a while.

Barry
Tony Thomas

My first guess is low compression. Get a compression gauge and check.
Second would be carbs. Chances are it is not an ignition problem if it revs
fine in the drive and does not miss.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Bear" wrote in message
I have about a 6 year old Evinrude 48 SPL that has a problem. It idles

fine
and revs fine as long as it is not in gear but once you put it in gear
there is no power and it is hard to keep it running. I checked the foot

for
gear lube and it seems fine. Put a water clamp on it and ran it in my
driveway and the prop turns freely. Rotated the prop by hand with the

engine
off and it spins freely. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Bear

Bear

Thanks everyone for the replys! The plugs are the problem. One loose wire
and the other one fouled! Duhhhhhh.
I feel foolish. Once again, thanks everyone for the input.

Barry

"Bear" wrote in message
I have about a 6 year old Evinrude 48 SPL that has a problem. It idles

fine
and revs fine as long as it is not in gear but once you put it in gear
there is no power and it is hard to keep it running. I checked the foot

for
gear lube and it seems fine. Put a water clamp on it and ran it in my
driveway and the prop turns freely. Rotated the prop by hand with the

engine
off and it spins freely. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Bear

power loss/175 hp Evinrude Russell Hermansen General 1 October 10th 03 05:06 AM
evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM
Evinrude Model Year? DJ General 2 September 13th 03 09:35 AM
vibrations evinrude 150hp Rural Knight General 1 August 8th 03 01:47 AM
evinrude 4 HP 2 cyl runs rough Jan General 6 August 5th 03 10:27 PM