BoatBanter.com

-   -   Evinrude 48SPL (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4328-evinrude-48spl.html)

Bear April 28th 04 08:50 PM

Evinrude 48SPL

I have about a 6 year old Evinrude 48 SPL that has a problem. It idles fine
and revs fine as long as it is not in gear but once you put it in gear
there is no power and it is hard to keep it running. I checked the foot for
gear lube and it seems fine. Put a water clamp on it and ran it in my
driveway and the prop turns freely. Rotated the prop by hand with the engine
off and it spins freely. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Bear

trainfan1 April 28th 04 11:58 PM

Evinrude 48SPL

Bear wrote:
I have about a 6 year old Evinrude 48 SPL that has a problem. It idles fine
and revs fine as long as it is not in gear but once you put it in gear
there is no power and it is hard to keep it running. I checked the foot for
gear lube and it seems fine. Put a water clamp on it and ran it in my
driveway and the prop turns freely. Rotated the prop by hand with the engine
off and it spins freely. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Bear

One cylinder is not firing.

Rob

Harry Krause April 28th 04 11:58 PM

Evinrude 48SPL

Bear wrote:

I have about a 6 year old Evinrude 48 SPL that has a problem. It idles fine
and revs fine as long as it is not in gear but once you put it in gear
there is no power and it is hard to keep it running. I checked the foot for
gear lube and it seems fine. Put a water clamp on it and ran it in my
driveway and the prop turns freely. Rotated the prop by hand with the engine
off and it spins freely. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Bear

Check your plugs and plug wires.

CCred68046 April 29th 04 05:49 AM

Evinrude 48SPL

If it will run and rev out of the water, on the muffs, and then it has no power
IN THE WATER on the lake... your carb(s) need to be rebuilt.

Calif Bill April 29th 04 06:54 AM

Evinrude 48SPL

"CCred68046" wrote in message
If it will run and rev out of the water, on the muffs, and then it has no

power
IN THE WATER on the lake... your carb(s) need to be rebuilt.

Check the timing. Check for good, bright spark from the plug wires. Spark
that jumps a big gap. Lots of other things than carbs reduce power.

F330 GT April 29th 04 10:15 PM

Evinrude 48SPL

"CCred68046" wrote in message
If it will run and rev out of the water, on the muffs, and then it has no

power
IN THE WATER on the lake... your carb(s) need to be rebuilt.

Check the timing. Check for good, bright spark from the plug wires. Spark
that jumps a big gap. Lots of other things than carbs reduce power.

I vote for carbs. Having had several 45hp Johnsons for about 25 years, I'd
about bet on it. Bet it's been sitting for a while.

Barry

Tony Thomas May 1st 04 03:17 AM

Evinrude 48SPL

My first guess is low compression. Get a compression gauge and check.
Second would be carbs. Chances are it is not an ignition problem if it revs
fine in the drive and does not miss.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

Bear May 5th 04 12:55 AM

Evinrude 48SPL

Thanks everyone for the replys! The plugs are the problem. One loose wire
and the other one fouled! Duhhhhhh.
I feel foolish. Once again, thanks everyone for the input.

Barry