Russell Hermansen

Default power loss/175 hp Evinrude

I posted awhile ago about a power loss problem on a 175 hp Evinrude. I
checked everything back from the engine to the tank. I replaced the primer
bulb, the fuel line, safety valve at tank, and I took apart the intake gas
tube that sucks gas from the tank. Inside that two part tube was a screen.
It was fouled with sludge, and what looked like congealed oil. I cleaned
the screen and put everything back together. This was the simple source of
fuel starvation problems that stumped me all summer. The engine now flies
and the fish are still biting. Thanks to everyone who was so kind to
respond and give me suggestions on what to check, you were all right on the
money. I have a great sense of gratitude towards all you fellow boaters and
to rec.boat newsgroup. Thanks everyone! Russ Hermansen