John H

Default Glorious Chesapeake Bay Day!

Left Deale at 8:00, headed across Herring Bay to 30' and started dropping the
lures in the water. Oldfart and Gimp were along to provide instructions,
companionship, expertise, and luck. Within 15 minutes of dropping the lines in
the water a rod bent and the line started singing. They let me bring the fish
in, a nice 35"er on a white, small umbrella rig, fished deep. The skunk was off
for the day.

About two hours later, still in Herring bay, the same thing happened. This time
Gimp, who just had two knees replaced, bravely took the rod and pulled in
another 35"er. This fish also hit the white umbrella, running deep.

It took about another two hours for the third hit, and Oldfart tugged in a 34"er
that filled our limit for the day. This one took a white parachute, again down
pretty deep.

As we were cleaning up, putting rods away, wiping blood off the boat, and so on,
the Maryland Police pulled up, checked our fish and all the other stuff, and
wished us well. It was the first time I'd seen any police on the water for about
two years, so it was a welcome sight, especially since we had all the right
stuff. They did point out that my flares expire in three months, so I was
grateful they stopped us now.

Great time, great company, and a great day on the Bay!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Harry Krause

John H wrote:

Left Deale at 8:00, headed across Herring Bay to 30' and started dropping the
lures in the water. Oldfart and Gimp were along to provide instructions,
companionship, expertise, and luck. Within 15 minutes of dropping the lines in
the water a rod bent and the line started singing. They let me bring the fish
in, a nice 35"er on a white, small umbrella rig, fished deep. The skunk was off
for the day.

About two hours later, still in Herring bay, the same thing happened. This time
Gimp, who just had two knees replaced, bravely took the rod and pulled in
another 35"er. This fish also hit the white umbrella, running deep.

It took about another two hours for the third hit, and Oldfart tugged in a 34"er
that filled our limit for the day. This one took a white parachute, again down
pretty deep.

You could do better than that off the fishing pier at Point Lookout.
Leetle Feesh. And dragging those 'chutes again. Try a half-ounce jighead
with an XXX sandworm down at the rips. No heavy metal, and when you
catch a fish, you catch a fish; you're not dragging in what seems like
10 pounds of heavy metal.

Even better...stripers on a fly rod.
John H

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:22:04 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

John H wrote:

[...]

Harry, I'll break my resolution, again. At least when I post about catching a
fish, I'm probably believed. Since you read the *other* group, you've
undoubtedly seen the pictures.

How many people, Harry, would believe you've even caught a fish? I don't believe
you've caught anything at the rips, nor off the pier at Point Lookout.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John Smith

I thought we had someone post about seeing Harry and his Lobster Boat
fishing in the Chesapeake Bay? They filled up with fuel at the same dock,
drank beer at the same pub, and shared the same IP address.

wrote:

John H wrote:

[...]

John H

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 02:43:09 GMT, "John Smith" wrote:

I thought we had someone post about seeing Harry and his Lobster Boat
fishing in the Chesapeake Bay? They filled up with fuel at the same dock,
drank beer at the same pub, and shared the same IP address.

Wow, what a set of coincidences. I'm probably on the water three times a week,
and I've never seen his lobsta boat.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Harry Krause

wrote:

John H wrote:

[...]

Have I stated here that you are not catching fish, albeit little fish,
John? I'm sure with all the effort and time you put into it, you do
produce something finny once in a while. Still, I wouldn't call
draggin' umbrella rigs fishing. Not with all that heavy metal in the water.

How many people, Harry, would believe you've even caught a fish?

Several hundred, including the many with whom I've fished.

I don't believe
you've caught anything at the rips, nor off the pier at Point Lookout.

I don't give a damn what you believe. You've already proven yourself to
be a BORGed Bush-****ter. The rips, btw, happen to be about my favorite
well-known fishing location on the Bay, but I more frequently drift-fish
over oyster beds, usually on the other side.

And I never claimed to have fished off the pier at Point Lookout,
although I do fish off of Point Lookout. All I said was that you could
have done better there, on the pier, without dragging all that metal
around. I live a little closer to Point Lookout and the Bay than you do,
eh? If you live out here, you tend to run into pier fishermen from time
to time. Why, I'll bet you didn't know that most Chesapeake Beach pier
fishermen do better catching croakers than you do.

Try putting away those umbrella rigs and try a little jig casting or
sight fishing. With lighter tackle.
Harry Krause

John H wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 02:43:09 GMT, "John Smith" wrote:

I thought we had someone post about seeing Harry and his Lobster Boat
fishing in the Chesapeake Bay? They filled up with fuel at the same dock,
drank beer at the same pub, and shared the same IP address.

Wow, what a set of coincidences. I'm probably on the water three times a week,
and I've never seen his lobsta boat.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Aren't you the RepubliBORG who claims to never go out on the weekends
because it is too crowded? And the same RepublBORG who rarely goes more
than a couple of miles from the little Bay outside Deale because you're
too cheap to burn a few gallons of fuel? I told you last season where to
go for flounder. Afraid to cross the Bay and head south?

The best fishing is from the Rips south, on both sides of the Bay. Try
the other shore and expand your horizons and what you might see from
time to time. Oh...the best cruising is also south, as you get closer to
the Atlantic.

You're some mighty fisherman, John. You'd do better at the fish counter
at Safeway or Giant.
John Smith

Harry,

When you go fishing on your imaginary Lobster Boat, do you prefer Safeway or
Giant?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
You're some mighty fisherman, John. You'd do better at the fish counter
at Safeway or Giant.

Harry Krause

John H wrote:

Wow, what a set of coincidences. I'm probably on the water three times a week,
and I've never seen his lobsta boat.

John H

I especially enjoy reading about your striper catches, John, when I
think about the article on rockfish that ran in last Thursday's
Annapolis paper. I'll bet you don't wear rubber gloves when you handle
and clean those fish, and I'll bet you eat those fish, too.

See ya!
Harry Krause

Harry Krause wrote:

John H wrote:

Wow, what a set of coincidences. I'm probably on the water three times
a week,
and I've never seen his lobsta boat.
John H

I especially enjoy reading about your striper catches, John, when I
think about the article on rockfish that ran in last Thursday's
Annapolis paper. I'll bet you don't wear rubber gloves when you handle
and clean those fish, and I'll bet you eat those fish, too.

See ya!

Whoops...forgot to attach the article...if you run into John Herring and
you're not wearing thick rubber gloves, avoid shaking his hand,
especially the one with the open lesions and oozing sores.

Some rockfish pose a danger to bay fishermen
By MIKE UNGER, Staff Writer

Despite the dramatic recovery of rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay, more
than half of the bay's most popular fish carry bacteria that can cause
painful skin infections in fishermen, according to the Department of
Natural Resources.

Saturday's start of rockfish season brought little publicity about
mycobacteriosis, first documented by Maryland scientists in 1998.

They now estimate it has spread to 50 percent of rockfish in some areas
of the bay. The Virginia Institute of Marine Science, however, estimates
76 percent of rockfish in the bay are infected.

"I think there is a clear human health concern that hundreds of people
will be out fishing for rockfish at the start of the season, and very
few are aware there is a prevalent disease with these fish," said Howard
R. Ernst, a Naval Academy professor and author of "Chesapeake Bay
Blues," a book published last year that's critical of the state's
regulation of bay pollution.

Although there's no proof that eating striped bass infected with
mycobacteriosis can make people sick, handling an infected fish can lead
to health problems, as Norman Haddaway found out.

He was stuck by a fat fish, 17 inches long, with shiny scales that
shimmered silver, green and blue as it flopped on the bottom of his
charter boat.

The Talbot County fishing guide was in a hurry. He and his four paying
anglers had pulled 120 rockfish from the bay in about an hour and 10
minutes. Most of the fish, like this one, were too small to keep, and
Mr. Haddaway scrambled to throw it overboard.

"When you're catching that many fish that quick, you're not as safe and
careful as you usually are," he said. "I went to grab it, and it just
jumped and stuck me in the palm."

Bacteria from that shiny fin bore into Mr. Haddaway's hand and erupted
on the other side in a swelling the size of a pork chop. The lump soon
spread to his wrist, and his elbow began to stiffen.

Doctors think the fish was carrying mycobacterium marinum, the cause of
what watermen call "fish handler's disease."

"Mycobacterium appears to be on the rise among striped bass in the
Chesapeake Bay," said Phil Jones, a fisheries manager with the DNR.
"It's had an
effect on the survival rates of other species, but to date we have not
seen any indication that it affects striped bass survival."

On the contrary, last year's recreational harvest of 2.97 million pounds
was the highest since a moratorium was implemented in 1985, Mr. Jones said.

In addition, last year's commercial take of 1.935 million pounds met the
DNR's pre-set allotment.

Low profile

Maryland scientists down-play the prevalence of the bacteria in the
official state fish, touted as one of the Chesapeake Bay's few success
stories. The state instituted the rockfish ban in 1985 after a collapse
in the bay's population. By the time the moratorium was lifted in 1990,
the population had recovered.

"There's quite a bit of politics here," said Victor Crecco, supervisor
of research in Connecticut's Marine Fisheries Division. "Politically,
they feel very uncomfortable about this."

Martin Gary, a DNR fisheries ecologist, says fish handler's disease has
an exaggerated reputation because several infections that aren't
mycobacteriosis get lumped together. The state doesn't keep records of
how many people catch it, but surgeons at the Curtis National Hand
Center in Baltimore say they see two or three new cases every month.

"There does seem to be a disproportionate number of people who live on
the Chesapeake Bay who contract it," said James Higgins, a surgeon at
the center. "This does seem to be a hot spot for it."

James Price, president of the nonprofit Chesapeake Bay Ecological
Foundation, said he fears that if the disease isn't addressed, the
rockfish resurgence will be short-lived.

"I feel that it is just as threatened today as it was in (1985)," he
said. "There are signs that these fish are not surviving past six years."

Scientists don't know what's causing the mycobacteriosis outbreak.

Next week, Desmond Kahn, an environmental scientist for Delaware's
fisheries division, will present data to a conference of biologists in
Ocean City showing that the death rate of rockfish from natural causes
in the bay is three times what it was in 1997.

Alternative data show a death rate that's slightly lower, he said.

"All we know about this disease is that up to 70 percent of samples have
shown to be infected and in aquaculture ponds it's fatal," said Bill
Goldsborough, a senior scientist with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

"In the early analysis, you have to be concerned that something's going on."

Cautionary tale

Most agree that fishermen should be cautious when handling fish with
lesions, which afflict some stripers infected with disease. The vast
majority suffering from mycobacteriosis, however, exhibit no outward
symptoms.

"What we tell people is to use common sense," Mr. Jones said. "Wash your
hands after handling fish, and if a fish has lesions, throw it back."

Mr. Haddaway, who was injured last fall, had surgery at the Curtis Hand
Center in February to remove infected tissue. He suffered a severe
allergic reaction to antibiotics, and lay in Memorial Hospital at Easton
for five days with a constant drip of morphine and steroids.

Six months after the rockfish stuck him, the lump on the back of his
hand hasn't completely healed.

He vows to wear a glove while fishing; Kevlar gloves (made of the same
material as bulletproof vests) cost $40.

"It's been a kick in the teeth," Mr. Haddaway said last week at his home
in Claiborne, a tiny town just west of St. Michaels.

"It doesn't hurt now, but I know it's not getting any better either."

---