Harry Krause

Default Glorious Chesapeake Bay Day!

John H wrote:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:22:04 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

John H wrote:

Left Deale at 8:00, headed across Herring Bay to 30' and started dropping the
lures in the water. Oldfart and Gimp were along to provide instructions,
companionship, expertise, and luck. Within 15 minutes of dropping the lines in
the water a rod bent and the line started singing. They let me bring the fish
in, a nice 35"er on a white, small umbrella rig, fished deep. The skunk was off
for the day.

About two hours later, still in Herring bay, the same thing happened. This time
Gimp, who just had two knees replaced, bravely took the rod and pulled in
another 35"er. This fish also hit the white umbrella, running deep.

It took about another two hours for the third hit, and Oldfart tugged in a 34"er
that filled our limit for the day. This one took a white parachute, again down
pretty deep.

You could do better than that off the fishing pier at Point Lookout.
Leetle Feesh. And dragging those 'chutes again. Try a half-ounce jighead
with an XXX sandworm down at the rips. No heavy metal, and when you
catch a fish, you catch a fish; you're not dragging in what seems like
10 pounds of heavy metal.

Even better...stripers on a fly rod.

Harry, I'll break my resolution, again. At least when I post about catching a
fish, I'm probably believed. Since you read the *other* group, you've
undoubtedly seen the pictures.

Have I stated here that you are not catching fish, albeit little fish,
John? I'm sure with all the effort and time you put into it, you do
produce something finny once in a while. Still, I wouldn't call
draggin' umbrella rigs fishing. Not with all that heavy metal in the water.

How many people, Harry, would believe you've even caught a fish?

Several hundred, including the many with whom I've fished.

I don't believe
you've caught anything at the rips, nor off the pier at Point Lookout.

I don't give a damn what you believe. You've already proven yourself to
be a BORGed Bush-****ter. The rips, btw, happen to be about my favorite
well-known fishing location on the Bay, but I more frequently drift-fish
over oyster beds, usually on the other side.

And I never claimed to have fished off the pier at Point Lookout,
although I do fish off of Point Lookout. All I said was that you could
have done better there, on the pier, without dragging all that metal
around. I live a little closer to Point Lookout and the Bay than you do,
eh? If you live out here, you tend to run into pier fishermen from time
to time. Why, I'll bet you didn't know that most Chesapeake Beach pier
fishermen do better catching croakers than you do.

Try putting away those umbrella rigs and try a little jig casting or
sight fishing. With lighter tackle.