George Rogers

Default prop guard?

I'm interested in getting one of the "ducted" prop guards for increased fuel
efficiency and earlier planing and was curious if anyone has any experience
with these. I'll be using it on a 19' bowrider with a 210hp Mercruiser I/O.
One concern was an increased risk to the outdrive tilt mechanism if you hit
something with the guard, rather than just damaging the prop without it.
Don't know if that's a valid concern or not. Any experiences would be
greatly appreciated.

Bill Kiene

We tried prop guards and they slowed us down too much and so I don't see any
way they can save fuel? they should use more?

Who know?

PS: to save fuel I always go down stream and with my ball cap on backwards.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"George Rogers" wrote in message

I'm interested in getting one of the "ducted" prop guards for increased

fuel
efficiency and earlier planing and was curious if anyone has any

experience
with these. I'll be using it on a 19' bowrider with a 210hp Mercruiser

I/O.
One concern was an increased risk to the outdrive tilt mechanism if you

hit
something with the guard, rather than just damaging the prop without it.
Don't know if that's a valid concern or not. Any experiences would be
greatly appreciated.

RichG

I've seen pix of them. I can't believe ( as Bill says) that you could save
any fuel with that much extra gear in the water all of the time. If I was in
a Manatee zone or something...and idling all of the time....maybe it would
have a use. We hear here all of the time about people having in-efficient
fuel running just because they have the motor and its own anti-cavitation
plate an inch or two too far down in the water. Putting that device all the
way in would seem to be much worse on fuel economy.

If you want better planing, consider either tabs or a hydro-foil. They say
the tabs save fuel and the hydro-foil uses a little bit more than presently.
The use of a Hydrofoil has moved my boats up onto plane a lot faster.

regards,
--
RichG
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

maui1015

"George Rogers" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting one of the "ducted" prop guards for increased

fuel
efficiency and earlier planing and was curious if anyone has any

experience
with these. I'll be using it on a 19' bowrider with a 210hp Mercruiser

I/O.
One concern was an increased risk to the outdrive tilt mechanism if you

hit
something with the guard, rather than just damaging the prop without it.
Don't know if that's a valid concern or not. Any experiences would be
greatly appreciated.

My boat is the same as yours in size and power (19' bowrider with a 210hp
Mercruiser I/O). I installed a hydrofoil (Stingray) and am happy with the
positive results (earlier planing) although I have not checked the effect on
fuel economy.

Don J.

Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help? Brian Silver General 9 September 29th 03 06:17 PM
convert johnson prop to mercury richg99 General 1 September 22nd 03 12:23 PM
which prop Tony Thomas General 0 July 30th 03 12:35 PM
Prop sizes/performance Steve Lomax General 6 July 23rd 03 11:49 PM
Prop question Frank Taylor, Jr. General 5 July 23rd 03 04:23 AM