Cowboy67

Default transom support question

Hello all,

Quick question regarding transoms. I bought my first transom support not
knowing what to look for. When I got it home, I noticed there was no
support or way to hook it up on my boat trailer. There are two holes there
like something might have been mounted there. I went to the bass pro shop
yesterday and the guy behind the counter said that I needed a peg? He said
that he did not have any in stock. Is this peg easy to find or make? He said
it was a roller? If that is the case, looks like I could make this with 2
pieces of angle iron?

Any help would be appreciated! You'd think 6 years in the Navy would give me
the knowledge (LOL). but we didn't have transoms. Just Poop decks! (LOL)

Thanks in advance!

Jim

cowboySIXSEVENATcasscommDOTcom

sixseven = 67
at = @
DOT = .

Tony Thomas

Depends on the style of transom saver you purchased. Some have U shape on
the trailer end and are designed to slide over the back roller on the
trailer. If this is what you have, you can get a roller and mount at the
rear.
Others are just a square open pole on the trailer end and are designed to
fit over a square plug. In this case you can make a piece out of two 90
degree brackets from the local Lowes or whatever. Mount in the correct
location and drill a hole thru the the transom saver to pin it over the
brackets.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Cowboy67" wrote in message
[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:15:28 -0600, "Cowboy67"
wrote:

Hello all,

Quick question regarding transoms. I bought my first transom support not
knowing what to look for. When I got it home, I noticed there was no
support or way to hook it up on my boat trailer. There are two holes there
like something might have been mounted there. I went to the bass pro shop
yesterday and the guy behind the counter said that I needed a peg? He said
that he did not have any in stock. Is this peg easy to find or make? He said
it was a roller? If that is the case, looks like I could make this with 2
pieces of angle iron?

The only real reason to need a transom "saver" is if you have an
aluminum boat. Even so, if you have power trim and a brace lock on
the outboard, it's not really necessary.

Note: This is my personal opinion and not one shared by all. I
believe that the "saver" actually transfers vibration to the engine
from the trailer and not vice versa. The only reason is mechanical
leverage which might be important on an aluminum boat.

In any case, here are a couple of sites that you might check with to
find the little block that is installed on the trailer.

http://tinyurl.com/255lw

http://www.co-starvii.com/extended_42_transom_saver.htm

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Tony Thomas

Mounting another roller is the easiest way. Otherwise, if it will reach the
roller that is already there - you could just lower it enough for the
transom saver to fit over it and under the boat. This roller is more for
instead of support - which is provided by the bunks.

As for what the other post said about not needing one - he obviously does
not have a large engine on a bass boat. The stress from the engine
bouncing up and down is tremendous and will cause stress cracks in almost
all transoms.