Calif Bill

Default Outboard vs. Inboard

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
news:XEr8c.86147$Cb.1139520@attbi_s51...
It really comes down to what you plan to do with the boat the most and

where
you are. Remember, an outboard can be used all year long as it does not
hold water that will freeze and bust the block (assuming you lower the
engine to allow the water to drain out). The outboard also gives you more
room for fishing and moving around in the boat. However, something in a

19'
to 20' boat that is good for skiing and cruising will be more readily
available in an I/O configuration.
I would look at the 20' open/walk around fishing boats that you can put a
lot of cushions on for cruising and skiing. This gives you lots of room

on
the boat and allows you to fish easily also. It will probably be an
outboard. Or if fishing is going to be seldom, you might look at a deck
boat that will allow for some room for fishing but is mainly setup for
skiing and cruising. They are available in outboard and I/O w/ the I/O

more
common now days.
Or you could go w/ something like a fish and ski that Stratos and most
fishing boat companies make. This will be an outboard also.

Bottom line, find a boat that fits your needs and don't worry about I/O or
outboard. If available thought - I personally would rather have the
outboard so you can use it in the winter if you want.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"HugYourPug" wrote in message
What are the relative merits of each. I have been looking at some boats

and the
inboards seem to offer a lot more boat for the money, but a lot of

people
buy
outboards, so there must be some merit there. Fishing, cruising and

skiing
are
the objective.

Outboards give you more room in the boat, but can be a pain when fishing.
Trying to get the fish around the back of the boat and out of the props can
be aggravating. Trying to net off the back of the boat is impossible.
Bill

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:52:50 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Outboards give you more room in the boat, but can be a pain when fishing.
Trying to get the fish around the back of the boat and out of the props can
be aggravating. Trying to net off the back of the boat is impossible.

I've taken some big fish on my Contender and I've had to lead them
around the stern, or take tuna off the stern and have never had a
problem.

Now, having said that, leading a large striper or bluefish around the
stern of the Ranger is a whole different ball game. It's a major PIA.

So, that's my experience - one good, one not so good.

Later,

Tom
HugYourPug

When I talked to the boat dealer, he said that all I would have to do to
winterize the boat with an I/O is put in fuel stabilizer and drain the water.
He also suggested that occasional salt water use would be ok with sufficient
rinsing. Is this reasonable?
Tony Thomas

That is absolutely correct. However, it is not as trivial as he makes it
sound. To drain the block, you have to remove the drain plugs on the bottom
of the block and on the bottom of the exhaust manifold. Then you have to
pull the water pump hose on the front of the engine in order to get the
water out of the hose. Then you really need to pour some antifreeze thru
the hose until it runs out the block (use the environmental friendly stuff).
Not too hard but a pain if you want to use it on a nice day in March when
you know it is going to freeze again before May. W/ outboard, you do
nothing but lower the engine once you park it. And you have to do that on
the I/O as well.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com