Doug Kanter

Default OT National Geographic - favourite tourism sites

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Calif Bill" wrote in message

thlink.net...
"Don White" wrote in message
Where's Nobby?.......
As reported in today's newspaper...
A survey of industry experts in the March edition of 'National

Geographic
Traveler' has Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
as the second top spot in the world to visit.

That's right...second only to the Norwegian fiords.

No mention of the 'Gulf Coast of Florida'.
see ***

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004...ia225.raw.html
***

How come I never see a lot of tourist dollars becing cited for Nova

Scotia?

Perhaps because you haven't actually researched the topic.

Then of course there's the ever-present anti-Canadian bias around here,
because Canadians aren't as violent as they ought to be. :-)

--
Do not respond to my Hotmail address. It's never checked. Post all responses
here.

Don White

Doug Kanter wrote in message

Then of course there's the ever-present anti-Canadian bias around here,
because Canadians aren't as violent as they ought to be. :-)

Funny isn't it. Most other countries in the world would love to have a
low-key, peaceful, law abiding country next door.
Go figure!

Calif Bill

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Calif Bill" wrote in message

thlink.net...
"Don White" wrote in message
[...]

Lots of go gettum Canadians. Especially those in the ruling province. They
go after all the other provinces money. Is good to be a Republic as the USA
is. Prevents the area with the most votes from stealing from all the
smaller entities.
Bill

Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote in message

Then of course there's the ever-present anti-Canadian bias around here,
because Canadians aren't as violent as they ought to be. :-)

Funny isn't it. Most other countries in the world would love to have a
low-key, peaceful, law abiding country next door.
Go figure!

Yeah....especially if the neighbor has an amazing currency exchange
situation and a ****load of esox lucius. Big-ass esox lucius.

--
Do not respond to my Hotmail address. It's never checked. Post all responses
here.

Calif Bill

Default Galapago's

"Paul Fritz" wrote in message
snip

Thanks. I am looking at the 16 passenger ships. As to Condor in

Peru,
used them for Machu Pichu in 2000. Fantastic people to tour with. At

least
the Cusco and MP part.
Bill

That was part of this trip as well, Where did you stay in Cusco and

Machu
Pichu? What did you think of the approach and landing for the Cusco
airport?

The ship we were on was the Santa Cruz. (my daughter remembered the
name.) Some of those small boats looked a little scary. I was thankful
being on a larger boat the night we moved from one end of the island chain
to the other.....going against the current/wind......it was the only time

in
my life I have ever had any motion sickness. And the flight to and from

the
islands were in what appeared to be very old 727's.

We stayed at the Monastery in Cusco. 1740 built monastery, converted to a
hotel by Orient Expess in 1996. We stayed at the hotel at the top at MP.
Refugio? Also an Orient Express hotel. If you want to watch the sunrise at
MP, you need to stay at that hotel, or walk up a long ways in the dark. Was
fantastic as we had maybe a 1/2 hour alone in the ruins before others
arrived. 2 swiss guys hiking the Inca trail. For those who like crooked
roads, the dirt roat from the bottom to the top at Machu Pichu does about 20
switchbacks in a 2000 foot climb. I loved the flight from Lima. Full
breakfast, and at least a foot of room in front of my knees. I think it was
a B-757. We were there in Spring (April) and I asked the hotel manager, how
rough the winters were. He laughed and said this is the cold season. For
those who have not been to Cusco, this city of about 350,000 people, sits at
11,500' elevation and the weather is about like San Francisco. Begonias and
other semi-tropical fauna. They only fly before noon to Cusco as the
elevation prevents safe flight after the air temps warm up.
Bill

P.Fritz

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"Paul Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

We stayed at the same places..Both were great places......It was nice
watching the sun set and rise from the ruins.

What I thought was wild was the landing at Cusco is descending down the
mountain valley with the peaks above you on either side, then doing the 180
around the peak just off the end of the runway.
What did you think of the Coca tea? Didn't do much for me. I had never
experienced the altitude sickness before that either......Got about an
hour's sleep each night it Cusco. I thought the way they switchbacked the
trains to get over the mountains was interesting as well.......Did you climb
Wachu (sp?) Pichu as well?

NOYB

"Don White" wrote in message
Where's Nobby?.......
As reported in today's newspaper...
A survey of industry experts in the March edition of 'National Geographic
Traveler' has Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
as the second top spot in the world to visit.

That's right...second only to the Norwegian fiords.

No mention of the 'Gulf Coast of Florida'.
see

If you read the entire article that you cited, you'd know *why* the Gulf
Coast of Florida wasn't listed:

"Popular places today are subject to a variety of pressures - development,
pollution, globalization, mass tourism," the magazine's publisher stated.
"We wanted to get a measure of how well destinations are taking care of
themselves."

"Typical sun-and-sand destinations score low because most are vulnerable to
overbuilding and degradation."

Wanna know *why* we're vulnerable to "overbuilding and degradation"?
Because people actually *want* to live in Southwest Florida. I know it's a
difficult concept to understand for someone that lives in a place where
more people are emigrating from than immigrating to...

Calif Bill

"P.Fritz" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"Paul Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

Did not zing me, maybe not enough coke in the tea? I ski at 10,000' and
spend a lot of time at Lake Tahoe, so the altitude did not bother me
headache wise, but not a lot of energy. We took a bus 1/2 way to MP as
there were bad rains and lots of landslides blocking the tracks. Wachu
Pichu was not recommended as a climb because of the rain. We were there
just before the elections, so got to see lots of the Indio's in local
regalia demonstrating in Cusco. As to altitude, later in the trip we went
to Lake Lugara, highest lake in the world. 14,500' Walked across the road
and head spun like in my younger years and excess celebrating.
Bill

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:05:41 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote in message I've got a 12
gauge Remington 870 Marine Magnum.
You don't want the pistol grip though. Regular stock and forend is
the way to go on heavy shotguns.
In My Humble Opinion anyway.
Mark E. Williams

I didn't want it for hunting...just to play with. I like to blast tin cans,
old derelict vehicles etc.
On the other hand, your version would be better for skeet shooting.

Better for any shooting with a shotgun that takes 3" magnums. The
pistol grip tends to lower your elbow while sighting. Not a minus
with a weapon that doesn't kick hard (the M16 comes to mind here).

The regular stock tends to raise your elbow thereby pulling the stock
into your shoulder. More controllable recoil and less shoulder
damage. )

Mark E. Williams
Paul Fritz

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"P.Fritz" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"Paul Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

We were in Cusco on Easter, so all the locals were dressed up as well.
Going up Wachu Pichu was like walking up a skyscaper......,mostly switchback
stairs, unitl you get to the top, where rain would have made it tricky.

Getting back to the Galapago's.....you should take time to spend a couple
of days in Quito, it is an interesting town. Guayquil is mostly an
industrial prot city. Equador uses U.S currency, but makes its own coinage
as well. If you ever wonder what happened to all the one dollar coins....I
think they all ended up there. Don't know if you know, but there is a
$100.00 entrance fee you pay immediately when you land on the islands. One
of the naturalists told me that if you sail your own boat, the cost is $200
a day per person, and you have to pay for a naturalist to stay on board the
entire time you are there. It is definitely worth the trip. My daughter
decided that she wants to work there now.