Markus Fischer

Default Minn Kota 12V or 24V

I wonder if anybody can help me on this...

Which type of Minn Kota Transom-Mount should I choose for the
following boat:

440 pounds, 14.5 feets

I am thinking of a Vector or a Maxxum model.

Do I need a 24V or a 12V motor?

I will buy probably anyway two batteries. I have read that the 24V
needs less Ampere. Will the 24V model run as long as the 12V model,
longer or less longer? How long will it run approximately anyway?

Thanks for any advice!
Markus
Robert or Karen Swarts

I have used my 30 lb Minnkota on various boats all around 16'. It is the 12
volt Endura model. With a single deep-cycle battery, it pushes them close to
4 mph for close to three hours. This will also depend strongly on the actual
amp-hour rating of the battery. The higher the amp-hour rating, the longer.
The more advanced motors with pulse width modulation controllers would run
considerably longer at lower power settings. Theoretically there is no
difference in longevity or power just based on voltage. However, in practice
there is slightly less voltage drop on any connecting cables and the
internal windings with the 24 volt set up meaning that slightly more of the
energy stored in the battery reaches the motor.

BS

"Markus Fischer" wrote in message
om...
I wonder if anybody can help me on this...

Which type of Minn Kota Transom-Mount should I choose for the
following boat:

440 pounds, 14.5 feets

I am thinking of a Vector or a Maxxum model.

Do I need a 24V or a 12V motor?

I will buy probably anyway two batteries. I have read that the 24V
needs less Ampere. Will the 24V model run as long as the 12V model,
longer or less longer? How long will it run approximately anyway?

Thanks for any advice!
Markus

Tim

From an automotive view I'd stay with 12 myself. 24 will deliver a bit

more power for amp use wich is a bit more eficient, however, the
supporting of that voltage is a bit more critical. 24 volt battery
chargers arn't cheap, and if you were going to charge the 24 v battery
pac you would either need an external charger, or use a 24 v.
alternator/generator,which again is higher cost.

Plus, with a 12v motor eventually like all brush motors the brush's
will wear down with a normal usage. With the 12 v. motor, the brush's
can be replaced and usually the rest of the motor parts (armature) will
be reusable. On a 24v motor the brush's will wear down faster because
they are made of a softer material than the 12v sets, and when they get
so short, the voltage is higher, and the carbon brush's will litterally
arc and burn holes inthe armature. which would require not only a brush
set, but also the brush holder assembly and an armature. in other
words...the motor is fried, and you would porobably be better off
buying a new motor.

Like I said, this is my view, but I'd stick with the 12v. system.

Tim

Don White

Tim wrote:
From an automotive view I'd stay with 12 myself. 24 will deliver a bit

[...]

Last night I saw a 55 lb thrust 12 v Minn Kota at Costco for $ 359.00
CDN. that should move the boat along in sensible conditions.

What the motor needs is Watts. W=V x A.

So to get the same power with 24V you need half the Amps you would need
from a 12V battery.

How long it runs depends on the Ah the battery delivers and the A the
motor needs. But with the same weight batteries and same powerful motor
there is no difference if you use 24 or 12 V

Matt

Tim

How long it runs depends on the Ah the battery delivers and the A the
motor needs. But with the same weight batteries and same powerful motor

there is no difference if you use 24 or 12 V

Matt

Matt, for the most part I do agree with you.

Usually, a 24v set up is wound for the higher voltage, and will be a
slight bit more efficient on the wattage usage,then the 12v
applications

But in this type of application, I ageee that the benefit wouldn't even
come close to weighing against the aformentioned disadvantages and
costs.

Tim

Richard J Kinch

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

If you are going to buy two batteries, connect them in parallel.

Not a good idee.
Bill McKee

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

If you are going to buy two batteries, connect them in parallel.

Not a good idee.

Why? Hundreds of thousands of batteries are connected in parallel. Lots of
critical energy systems have them in parallel as well as most large boats
house banks.

Adjusting Minn Kota Endura 30 to 15" spec [email protected] General 4 January 27th 05 12:12 AM
FS: Minn Kota Power Control in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 16th 04 12:43 PM
Need Minn Kota 3HP housing Larry General 0 December 24th 03 02:59 PM
inflatables help jake waldman General 16 December 2nd 03 02:57 AM
Trolling motor questions CCred68046 General 5 September 27th 03 01:54 AM