Default Adjusting Minn Kota Endura 30 to 15" spec

Hi,

I have a Sevylor HF280 inflatable. The directions suggest
only using a motor with a 15" shaft. The MK is 30". Where
do I measure to adjust the MK shaft down so that it would sit
in the water at the same depth as a typical 15" length motor,
or in other words the Sevylor motor that they sell.

The obvious answer might be at 15" I assume but I'm not
sure if it might actually be a bit lower since I would think
even with a 15" motor the attachment to the transom might be
lower than the very top of the whole unit.

Thanks,

Jesse

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a Sevylor HF280 inflatable. The directions suggest
only using a motor with a 15" shaft. The MK is 30". Where
do I measure to adjust the MK shaft down so that it would sit
in the water at the same depth as a typical 15" length motor,
or in other words the Sevylor motor that they sell.

The obvious answer might be at 15" I assume but I'm not
sure if it might actually be a bit lower since I would think
even with a 15" motor the attachment to the transom might be
lower than the very top of the whole unit.

I think you're thinking about this WAAAAAAY too much. Clamp the MinnKota on
the back, adjust the motor so that the prop doesn't cavitate (suck air down
through the water to the prop) and "let'er rip".

While prop height is critical on a performance boat hull, unless you're
attempting a world speed record for inflatables, don't sweat it.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

SimRacer

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a Sevylor HF280 inflatable. The directions suggest
only using a motor with a 15" shaft. The MK is 30". Where
do I measure to adjust the MK shaft down so that it would sit
in the water at the same depth as a typical 15" length motor,
or in other words the Sevylor motor that they sell.

The obvious answer might be at 15" I assume but I'm not
sure if it might actually be a bit lower since I would think
even with a 15" motor the attachment to the transom might be
lower than the very top of the whole unit.

Thanks,

Jesse

I agree with Steve, just get the prop below the water line enough to "bite"
(no cavitation) and high enough up not to bump into anymore stumps/brush
than necessary, and you will be set.

Before I got my little bass boat, I used to fish from a Coleman Crawdad
(circa 1986 or so) and just threw a 28# thrust, transom mount MK on it and
never adjusted it until I found shallow/stumpy water to fish. It (the MK's
motor head) probably went through the first two seasons a foot or more below
the water line with no problems. That is until I realized I needed to raise
it to take advantage of the shallow draft of the hull one day.

Thanks guys.