Don White

Tim wrote:
From an automotive view I'd stay with 12 myself. 24 will deliver a bit

more power for amp use wich is a bit more eficient, however, the
supporting of that voltage is a bit more critical. 24 volt battery
chargers arn't cheap, and if you were going to charge the 24 v battery
pac you would either need an external charger, or use a 24 v.
alternator/generator,which again is higher cost.

Plus, with a 12v motor eventually like all brush motors the brush's
will wear down with a normal usage. With the 12 v. motor, the brush's
can be replaced and usually the rest of the motor parts (armature) will
be reusable. On a 24v motor the brush's will wear down faster because
they are made of a softer material than the 12v sets, and when they get
so short, the voltage is higher, and the carbon brush's will litterally
arc and burn holes inthe armature. which would require not only a brush
set, but also the brush holder assembly and an armature. in other
words...the motor is fried, and you would porobably be better off
buying a new motor.

Like I said, this is my view, but I'd stick with the 12v. system.

Tim

Last night I saw a 55 lb thrust 12 v Minn Kota at Costco for $ 359.00
CDN. that should move the boat along in sensible conditions.