Default Cleaning canvas/isenglass in a washing machine?

I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle.

Anyone ever attempt this?

I'm sure it could impact the water repellency, but I plan to re-treat
the canvas once it's back up......
jps

In article , rc620
@hotmail.com says...
I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle.

Don't think your vinyl windows would appreciate this. You'd probably be
better off laying them on the dock or your driveway with some towels
under the windows for protection.

Start by cleaning the isinglass (which is really vinyl) with either
plexus, or the Novus products if they're scratched, while the canvas
pieces are laying flat. Then use a mild soap and water mixture for the
canvas with a not too stiff brush. Turn over, do again and rinse well.

Re waterproof when dry.

I've done this a few times with very good results.

jps
Mike

Apr 12, 6:02 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:02:41 GMT

I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle

ARRRGGGHH! No, please don't do that, you'll be trashing some expensive
stuff-the isenglass won't put up with it.
Go to the SUNBRELLA web site, they offer a very good method (it
involves Ivory soap flakes and a brush for the canvas), I found
Scotchguard works well to re water proof, use a good vinyl cleaner for
the isenglass. Don't use Windex etc, the alcohol will damage the vinyl.
Be gentle!
Best wishes
Mike

Paul Schilter

real,
LOL
Paul

The real ME wrote:
SWS,
Do you own a canvas shop? ; )

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:26:24 -0400, "The real ME"
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Do you own a canvas shop? ; )

No, but I know somebody who does. :)

Later,

Tom

How to make sails ? Ottar General 7 January 24th 05 10:45 AM
Cleaning lines (ropes to the lubbers!) Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 67 March 16th 04 10:38 PM
cleaning sails J Bard ASA 17 February 3rd 04 02:50 PM
DIY sail cleaning ? Sven General 7 December 24th 03 10:31 PM
Cloth washing Haakon Dybdahl Cruising 14 December 13th 03 03:36 PM