Lloyd Sumpter

Default Cleaning lines (ropes to the lubbers!)

Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

K. Smith

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

Thanks for the ontopic threads well done great idea!!!!

Gee replace "every year"?? You blokes are rich beyond our
imagination:-) That free trade deal with the US must be really paying
off, hope we get ours through.

Warn water soap & a good scrub, I'd be wary of bleaches.

A bit of use in the sun with salt water & they'll be white enough
anyway, you do get some sun????:-)

Doug Dotson

Braided line intended for halyards and sheets are not the same
construction as those sold as dock lines. They stretch quite a
bit albeit maybe not as much as a laid line. In any case, we use
laid line most of the time. It was not my impression that Lloyd
was referring to dock lines exclusively. I can see replacing all
dock lines annually if they get a constant wookout though.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:45:34 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
said:

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight.

Good lord, talk about conspicuous consumption. I don't think I replaced

the
dock lines on my old Islander 24 in the entire 15 years I owned her. Of
course admittedly they didn't get much of a chance to chafe, since a good
part of the time was spent on a mooring rather than at a dock.

Does bring up a question, however. I see that the marine stores seem to

sell
braided nylon lines for tying up to a dock. I've never thought that made
much sense, since my impression is that braided has considerably less
stretch than 3 strand of the same diameter, and I'd prefer to have that
stretch to take up shock and to some extent allow for extraordinary low
tides (not to mention the fact that it's a lot easier to throw an eye

splice
in 3 strand).. What do you folks think?

Dave

Doug Dotson

It was pretty clear you were talking about dock lines. Where is
the confisusion?

Doug

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:05:45 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
said:

Braided line intended for halyards and sheets are not the same
construction as those sold as dock lines.

Among other things, it's not made of nylon, is it? I was, of course,

talking
about dock lines.

Dave

Doug Dotson

Chafing gear doesn't do much for internal chafing. I have seen dock lines
destroy themselves from the inside out when they are constantly
worked over the course of a season. Very common in anchor rode
during extnded periods of heavy weather as well.

Doug
s/v Callista

said:

I can see replacing all
dock lines annually if they get a constant wookout though.

That's what chafing gear is for, no?

Dave

JR North

Toss 'em in the washing machine on 'delicate' with some
Tide.
JR

--
Remove X to reply