fraggy

Default Cleaning lines (ropes to the lubbers!)

hi
i put mine in the washing machine, and the ropes :-)

fragged

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

Jere Lull

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Does bring up a question, however. I see that the marine stores seem to sell
braided nylon lines for tying up to a dock. I've never thought that made
much sense, since my impression is that braided has considerably less
stretch than 3 strand of the same diameter, and I'd prefer to have that
stretch to take up shock and to some extent allow for extraordinary low
tides (not to mention the fact that it's a lot easier to throw an eye splice
in 3 strand).. What do you folks think?

Dave

Friends gave us some braided lines that we used a couple of times.
They're purty, but I only use them for temporary tie-ups. They really
don't stretch much.

--
Jere Lull

h20goofy

I've used Tide and OxyClean to clean dock lines in a washing machine
before. After the wash cycle, I let them soaf for a couple of hours.
It worked great. As mentioned before, a mesh bag would be a good
precaution against them wrapping around the agitator. Some of the
lines were almost black. After sun drying they look almost new. I was
a little concerned about the Oxy-Clean weakening them but it's now
been a year and I haven't had any problems with them.

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message .. .
Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"Doug Dotson" wrote:

I usually braided the lines before putting them into the washing
machine. Secure the ends with some string to keep them from
unraveling during the wash.

When we have the boat in the yard over the winter, we take all the
lines off (and the sails and bimini too naturally), and wash all the
lines in the washing machine at home. I think Bob braids them first,
and of course all the ends are whipped with thread or something to
keep them from raveling. He lays them out on the porch to dry.

I don't know that we've bought dock lines much, but we've only had the
boat since 1998. When we are tied to a dock for an extended period of
time, Bob puts chafe protection on the lines where they go through the
hawse holes or chocks or whatever those holes in the boat are called.
Our anchor rode is all chain (we do have some rope rode but have never
used it), and I would not wash that in the washing machine g

We use the machine at home. We don't have a laundromat nearby. A
washing machine is supposed to get dirty stuff clean. There's no
point in having one if it is too delicate to put dirty stuff in there.
I see no reason not to do that as long as the machine isn't
overloaded.

Except for things made of fiberglass of course - not boat things but
curtains etc. If I was going to wash those type things, I wouldn't
put them in my washer at home, and I probably wouldn't do them in the
laundromat either because I would feel guilty at doing something there
that I wouldn't want to do at home.

Doug
s/v Callista

"MMC" wrote in message
. com...
Keith,
Does this cause a lot of wear and tear on the washing machine? Do you put
the lines in a net bag or toss them in as is?
Merlin.
"Keith" wrote in message
I've used braided dock lines forever. Now I have floating docks, so I

just
keep them all tight, no problem. I also use nothing but black, since

it's
the most UV stable color, and doesn't show dirt. I wash them once a year

or
so in the washing machine on gentle cycle, warm water, with Woolite (or
cheap Wal-Mart substitute) and use fabric softner. DON'T dry in the

dryer,
just hang out or put back in use.

--

Keith
__
"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:45:34 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"

said:

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight.

Good lord, talk about conspicuous consumption. I don't think I

replaced
the
dock lines on my old Islander 24 in the entire 15 years I owned her.

Of
course admittedly they didn't get much of a chance to chafe, since a

good
part of the time was spent on a mooring rather than at a dock.

Does bring up a question, however. I see that the marine stores seem

sell
braided nylon lines for tying up to a dock. I've never thought that

made
much sense, since my impression is that braided has considerably less
stretch than 3 strand of the same diameter, and I'd prefer to have

that
stretch to take up shock and to some extent allow for extraordinary

low
tides (not to mention the fact that it's a lot easier to throw an eye
splice
in 3 strand).. What do you folks think?

Dave

grandma Rosalie

Ken Rowe

I have cleaned pretty grundgy docklines and anchor rodes by laying them out
on my driveway and blasting them with a pressure washer while rolling them
back and forth under foot to get at the "bottom" of the lines. No soap was
needed and the lines looked close to new. My pressure washer is electric.
I imagine that using a higher-powered gas-powered pressure washer might
involve some risk of damage to the line fibers. All the lines I have done
this on have been 3-strand nylon. I have not tried it on braided line.
Your mileage may vary.