Lloyd Sumpter

Default Cleaning lines (ropes to the lubbers!)

Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:05:48 -0500, "Gene Kearns"
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:45:34 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

I've had good luck with plain 'ole laundry detergent, like "Tide." A
very sparing quantity of fabric softener will make the lines supple
again.... put too much and you'll end up with "wet noodles."

I've done what Gene suggests and it works great.

I'd stay away from bleaching.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

K. Smith

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

Thanks for the ontopic threads well done great idea!!!!

Gee replace "every year"?? You blokes are rich beyond our
imagination:-) That free trade deal with the US must be really paying
off, hope we get ours through.

Warn water soap & a good scrub, I'd be wary of bleaches.

A bit of use in the sun with salt water & they'll be white enough
anyway, you do get some sun????:-)

JR North

Toss 'em in the washing machine on 'delicate' with some
Tide.
JR

--
Remove X to reply

Doug Dotson

When I was an avid caver, we would wash our climbing ropes
in Tide using a front loading washer (at a laundrymat of course
Use Downey in the rinse to give them a soft hand.

Doug
s/v Callista

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to

clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

--
Remove X to reply

timwh

I have had good luck using a consumer grade pressure washer to clean
the green off my lines. I had some lines that looked aweful and came
up beautifully after pressure washing. It is a little time consuming,
but the results are good. The trick is to get close enough with the
pressure washer to clean the line, but not do any damage.

Tim
http://www.tgw.net
Doug Kanter

Is the boat in the water all year? If so, how about buying two sets of lines
(after money is more available) and rotating them. Take some home to dry for
a month, while the others turn green on the boat.

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

Doug Kanter

Also known as a "delicates bag", found in the supermarket in the same
vicinity as the lint traps and the clothespins. It's a mess bag, usually
with a zipper. I use one for my bras and panty hose. So does John H, but
he'll never admit it.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:55:43 -0500, Jim wrote:

Put them in a net bag in the washing machine (wife and/or GF probably
has one). Otherwise plan on a week or so untangling them

Uh?.... net bag or washing machine????

Anyway..... he's right. They always come out like a mating ball of
snakes...

SNIPS

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Also known as a "delicates bag", found in the supermarket in the same
vicinity as the lint traps and the clothespins. It's a mess bag, usually
with a zipper. I use one for my bras and panty hose. So does John H, but
he'll never admit it.

Did I say "mess" bag??? I meant MESH.