JR North

Default Cleaning lines (ropes to the lubbers!)

Toss 'em in the washing machine on 'delicate' with some
Tide.
JR

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

--
Remove X to reply

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:31:05 +0000, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:45:34 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" said:

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but this year
money's a bit tight.

Good lord, talk about conspicuous consumption. I don't think I replaced the dock
lines on my old Islander 24 in the entire 15 years I owned her. Of course
admittedly they didn't get much of a chance to chafe, since a good part of the
time was spent on a mooring rather than at a dock.

Hehe...No, I don't replace ALL the lines EVERY year. I used to have to replace
all the docklines every year when I moored at Mosquito Creek, because the
constant wash in there from commercial boats, Seabus, etc. wore them out. But
yes, often in the past I have replaced a line not because it was worn out, but
because it was dirty and slimy and green and yukky.

Oh, and to K.Smith: yes, we get sunshine (sunny today, actually) but I find the
lines end up more grey than "white", and the slime just dries on...

Does bring up a question, however. I see that the marine stores seem to sell
braided nylon lines for tying up to a dock. I've never thought that made much
sense, since my impression is that braided has considerably less stretch than 3
strand of the same diameter, and I'd prefer to have that stretch to take up
shock and to some extent allow for extraordinary low tides (not to mention the
fact that it's a lot easier to throw an eye splice in 3 strand).. What do you
folks think?

Ya know, I've never thought of that: good point. Maybe if I used more strechy
lines at Mosquito Creek they would have lasted a little longer. As it is, I
prefer the braided lines simply because they feel better in my hand.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Doug Dotson

When I was an avid caver, we would wash our climbing ropes
in Tide using a front loading washer (at a laundrymat of course
Use Downey in the rinse to give them a soft hand.

Doug
s/v Callista

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight. They're perfectly servicable, just rather
green from the Wet Coast's winter wetness. What's a good/safe way to

clean
them? I heard an oxygen-based bleach like Oxy-Clean was good for sails -
how about dacron lines?

Same question for sail covers.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - shiny engine, not so shiny lines.

--
Remove X to reply

Gould 0738

Ropes to the lubbers?

Tilt.

IMO, every one of those lines is a "rope" until it is employed as a bow line,
stern line, spring line, breast line, or etc.

It's OK to say "rope" around a boat. :-)

Here's the expanded definition from one of my favorite sources: The Sailor's
Illustrated Dictionary by Thompson Lenfesty and Captain Thompson Lenfest, Jr.

Begins........

rope: n. Cordage over 1-inch in circumference....

Interrupt.......
(my note: It's important not to confuse
circumference with diameter when evaluating that statement).

Resumes......
....When smaller than 1-inch, cordage is usually referred to as line, twine, or
small stuff. Rope is made of strands made up of yarns. Ropes on ships generally
have names accoprcing to thier use, such as boltrope, buoy rope, breast rope,
davit rope, wheel rope, bell rope, and so on. Some of the most specious and
arbitrary writing has arisen over the use of the word "rope" on seagoing
vessels. Some writers flatly declare that when cordage comes aboard a vessel it
is line unless it is specifically named, as with boltrope; but this bit of
mystique was unheard of a hundred years or so ago.

ends.......

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 8 Mar 2004 17:31:05 -0600, Dave wrote:

Does bring up a question, however. I see that the marine stores seem to sell
braided nylon lines for tying up to a dock. I've never thought that made
much sense, since my impression is that braided has considerably less
stretch than 3 strand of the same diameter, and I'd prefer to have that
stretch to take up shock and to some extent allow for extraordinary low
tides (not to mention the fact that it's a lot easier to throw an eye splice
in 3 strand).. What do you folks think?

I agree. Laid line is very quick to eyesplice.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

Keith

I've used braided dock lines forever. Now I have floating docks, so I just
keep them all tight, no problem. I also use nothing but black, since it's
the most UV stable color, and doesn't show dirt. I wash them once a year or
so in the washing machine on gentle cycle, warm water, with Woolite (or
cheap Wal-Mart substitute) and use fabric softner. DON'T dry in the dryer,
just hang out or put back in use.

--

Keith
__

[...]