BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cleaning canvas/isenglass in a washing machine? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/34492-cleaning-canvas-isenglass-washing-machine.html)

[email protected] April 13th 05 02:02 AM

Cleaning canvas/isenglass in a washing machine?

I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle.

Anyone ever attempt this?

I'm sure it could impact the water repellency, but I plan to re-treat
the canvas once it's back up......

jps April 13th 05 02:55 AM

In article , rc620
@hotmail.com says...
I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle.

Don't think your vinyl windows would appreciate this. You'd probably be
better off laying them on the dock or your driveway with some towels
under the windows for protection.

Start by cleaning the isinglass (which is really vinyl) with either
plexus, or the Novus products if they're scratched, while the canvas
pieces are laying flat. Then use a mild soap and water mixture for the
canvas with a not too stiff brush. Turn over, do again and rinse well.

Re waterproof when dry.

I've done this a few times with very good results.

jps

Mike April 13th 05 04:13 AM

Apr 12, 6:02 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:02:41 GMT
Subject: Cleaning canvas/isenglass in a washing machine?

I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle

ARRRGGGHH! No, please don't do that, you'll be trashing some expensive
stuff-the isenglass won't put up with it.
Go to the SUNBRELLA web site, they offer a very good method (it
involves Ivory soap flakes and a brush for the canvas), I found
Scotchguard works well to re water proof, use a good vinyl cleaner for
the isenglass. Don't use Windex etc, the alcohol will damage the vinyl.
Be gentle!
Best wishes
Mike

Short Wave Sportfishing April 13th 05 11:07 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:02:41 GMT, wrote:

I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle.

Anyone ever attempt this?

I'm sure it could impact the water repellency, but I plan to re-treat
the canvas once it's back up......

Sounds like a great idea!!

Later,

Tom

jps April 13th 05 08:15 PM

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:02:41 GMT,
wrote:

I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle.

Anyone ever attempt this?

I'm sure it could impact the water repellency, but I plan to re-treat
the canvas once it's back up......

Sounds like a great idea!!

Later,

Tom

You forgot the little smiley face with the devilish grin.

jps

Paul Schilter April 13th 05 08:44 PM

real,
LOL
Paul

The real ME wrote:
SWS,
Do you own a canvas shop? ; )

Short Wave Sportfishing April 13th 05 11:16 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:26:24 -0400, "The real ME"
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Do you own a canvas shop? ; )

No, but I know somebody who does. :)

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing April 13th 05 11:17 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:15:46 -0700, jps wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:02:41 GMT, wrote:

I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle.

Anyone ever attempt this?

I'm sure it could impact the water repellency, but I plan to re-treat
the canvas once it's back up......

Sounds like a great idea!!

Later,

Tom

You forgot the little smiley face with the devilish grin.

Why I'll be danged - I did.

Whoopsie. :)

Later,

Tom

HarryKrause April 16th 05 09:42 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:02:41 GMT, wrote:

I'm thinking of bringing my canvas (some has isenglass windows) down
to the local laundromat, and washing them with a very mild detergent
in a large commercial washing machine on the gentle cycle.

Anyone ever attempt this?

I'm sure it could impact the water repellency, but I plan to re-treat
the canvas once it's back up......

I was doing this in the 60s, it will be fine.