jaypoe

Default BOATS?!?! EITHER CHANGE THE F@#$$%& NAME OR TALK ABOUT BBBOOOOAAATTTTSSSSSS!!!!!!

jaypoe

Or guitars and motorcycles of coarse.
"jaypoe" wrote in message

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:27:31 -0500, "jaypoe"
wrote:

Or guitars and motorcycles of coarse.

I still have a Gretsch Country Gentleman autographed by Chet Atkins.
My favorite quitar of all time is the pre-CBS Stratocaster and the
Ovation Custom Balladeer that I own.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:14:52 GMT, wrote:

wrote:

Or guitars and motorcycles of coarse.

I still have a Gretsch Country Gentleman autographed by Chet Atkins.
My favorite quitar of all time is the pre-CBS Stratocaster and the
Ovation Custom Balladeer that I own.

Later,

GUITARS! One wall of my living room is hung with quite a collection. Mostly
custom built "one-offs". Among them is Les Paul's Les Paul. He gave it to me
one night after a gig. I'm sure there are other people who can say the same, as
he likes to trade guitars and war stories. I started playing in 1957. In a
previous life, I was a pretty busy pick up player on both coasts. I was also
pretty heavily involved in motorcycles. Even owned a motorcycle shop for awhile
in California in the early 70's as a sideline. I used to ride solo cross country
between CA and CT in 4 days each way to visit the folks. Longest single stretch
ever on one of those trips was from Des Moines, Iowa to Westport, CT in 28 hours
straight through. I had planned to stop overnight in Columbus, OH, but when I
got there, the guy I was going to visit was out of town. I just kept going. Look
on a map and see what it was. Those were the days!

When I was still playing, I was traveling through Nashville and
stopped to go to a Oprey show. As it happened, I had my Gretsch with
me and saw Mr. Atkins in a resturant. I just took matters to hand and
walked up to him asking if he would be kind enough to autograph it for
me. He looked at me and said "Son, you bring it here I'll not only
autograph it, I'll play." Took me all of three seconds (ok, maybe
not, but still I hustled out to the car) to get the guitar and the
rest is history. He signed it "To Tom, all the best - Chet Atkins"
and then proceeded to play "Yankee Doodle" and "Moonlight in
Vermont".

I'm looking at it as we speak....er... type.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10
jaypoe

Chet who and Les what?.Just kidding.....been listening to Chet and Mark
Knoflers cd......just wonderful! Like the tune about Chet changing his
image..wearing leather pants and dark shades...Mark:" your a lil country and
too old".

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Great story! I once told Les Paul a story that Chet Atkins had told me

about
him, and after a great big horse laugh, he said, "Good story... but not

true of
course". These guys are hilarious when you get them going. Les Paul still

rips,
in case you are wondering. Actually, I think the kids now say he "shreds".

His
biggest problem is that his skin has become very tender, and he usually

ends up
bleeding after playing for a while. Not bad consdering all he's been

through
with cardiac surgery, and his famous "permaset" elbow.

BB

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10

RG

Longest single stretch
ever on one of those trips was from Des Moines, Iowa to Westport, CT in 28

hours
straight through. I had planned to stop overnight in Columbus, OH, but

when I
got there, the guy I was going to visit was out of town. I just kept

going. Look
on a map and see what it was. Those were the days!

Using today's roads, that's 1165 miles according to Garmin's City Select
mapping and routing software. Covering that in 28 hours yields an average
speed including any and all stops of 41.6 mph. Sounds about right. Makes
my butt sore just thinking about it. As a younger guy, I used to drive
about 75-80k miles a year (in a car) on business. Much of that was done in
1200+ mile non-stop marathons. Probably couldn't do it today if I had to.
I still enjoy cross country driving, but I'm no longer conditioned for the
24 hour runs. Although the equipment I drive today sure would have been
nice to have back then.

Calif Bill

"RG" wrote in message news:KvV_b.977$h23.385@fed1read06...
[...]

I always figured 50 mph average for long trips. Best ever was when I got
out of the Tech School at Keesler AFB in 1964 and another guy and I drove
back to California. With a 2 hour stop in Tuson, AZ we average 63.9 mph for
the 2500 mile trip. But driving through Texas at 3 am I ran in the 100+
range. Car would do 146 MPH. Those were the days.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:47:36 -0500, "jaypoe"
wrote:

Chet who and Les what?.Just kidding.....been listening to Chet and Mark
Knoflers cd......just wonderful! Like the tune about Chet changing his
image..wearing leather pants and dark shades...Mark:" your a lil country and
too old".

Isn't that a great album - I love it.

All the tunes are great, but my favorite is "Old Friend" - the next
time I'm in town.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:43:10 GMT, wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:29:04 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

LOL!!!

I met Mary Ford once - somehow she knew my mother - I can't rembember
the connection. That was ~~ mumblety mulble ~~ years ago.

During the early '70s I was working for Texaco in New Orleans and a
friend of mine and I decided to go to a B.B. King concert at the
Downtown Auditorium. We arrived early, got our seats and after about
a half hour noticed that we were the only two white guys within four
rows of the stage - we stuck out like a literal sore thumb. Nobody
seemed to care.

Anyway, the concert started going and we were all having a good time
when King took short break, some other band came out, did their thing
and then King came out for one last set and started off by dedicating
some uptempo guitar thing to "the two white guys four rows back".

:)

Good times - good times.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Or guitars and motorcycles of coarse.

I still have a Gretsch Country Gentleman autographed by Chet Atkins.

It's a nice guitar, but so heavy you could use it for ballast.

ROTFL!!!!

Got that right.

I liked it because I'm somewhat heavy handed anyway and much prefer
the smooth action for chording and light jazz than the quicker
fingering you found on Strats or Les Pauls. The Gretsch, much like
the Ovation I have, has a nice big neck which fits my hand better.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

Basic Fishing Program: