poekw0

Default Need some outboard help

I am about to buy a 17ft Pioneer. I need to choose which motor to put
on it currently I am looking at the Mercury and Yamaha 4 strokes and
possibly optimax. Any sugestions on which one of these to choose?

--
Posted using the http://www.boatforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.boatforumz.com/Boat-Gener...pict14530.html
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 7 Apr 2005 19:21:50 -0400, poekw0
wrote:

I am about to buy a 17ft Pioneer. I need to choose which motor to put
on it currently I am looking at the Mercury and Yamaha 4 strokes and
possibly optimax. Any sugestions on which one of these to choose?

Yeah - get an Evinrude E-TEC in the maximum horses you can legally put
on the boat.

Later,

Tom
tony thomas

1. Get max hp the boat is rated for.
2. Don't get the optimax (longevity is a potential problem)
3. Get whichever of the Yamaha or Merc is cheaper. If both the same price
I would go w/ Merc since parts tend to be slightly cheaper.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com
"poekw0" wrote in message
news:5_79319_6d7866ae4401c181c51d1680d1e21c47@boat forumz.com...
I am about to buy a 17ft Pioneer. I need to choose which motor to put
on it currently I am looking at the Mercury and Yamaha 4 strokes and
possibly optimax. Any sugestions on which one of these to choose?

--
Posted using the http://www.boatforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL:
http://www.boatforumz.com/Boat-Gener...pict14530.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
http://www.boatforumz.com/eform.php?p=79319

K. Smith

Harry Krause wrote:
tony thomas wrote:

1. Get max hp the boat is rated for.
2. Don't get the optimax (longevity is a potential problem)
3. Get whichever of the Yamaha or Merc is cheaper. If both the same
price I would go w/ Merc since parts tend to be slightly cheaper.

You have some reliable statistics that posit that "longevity" on an
Optimax is a "potential problem." Over the course of more than four
seasons, I had no problems with my v6 Opti. The guy who bought my old
rig put two more seasons on it, and he hasn't had any problems, either.
Salt water use.

Bush and the NeoConvicts who control him
are destroying the once-great United States.

Careful don't decide on the basis of anything this lying idiot says!!

He has never owned a boat much less an Optimax, what he did do around
97-98 was "claim" to own one to support his dealer mates who were
spamming the NG with BS & the optis were all failing along with the
Fichts, then the liar claimed he had put over 200 hours on it between
May & Nov. all the while endlessly posting he-)

Obviously the real boaters here know just how preposterous that lie is.

Been busy today so I'll keep the Krause lie of the day short.

This lying simpleton, after it became clear he was losing a thread
where he was displaying his usual lack of patriotism much less gratitude
for the brave men & women out there risking their everything, to keep
the likes of him safe, he just reverts to type.

But seriously can you imagine this uneducated union thug now claims
he is reviewing universities!!! & wait for it he poo poos the
engineering course!!! this from a lying uneducated union thug who
couldn't use a toaster without a union authorised electrician in attendance.

I've included just one of the followup responses but it was such a
bald faced lie it even embarrassed the rejoinders:-)

I have visited West Point, the Naval Academy, the Air Force Academy and
the sub training facility at Groton. Some years ago, I actually did look
over descriptions of some of the course material at Annapolis and the
c.v.'s of some of the faculty. I'm sure the engineering course material
is fairly rigorous, though it is more "trade-oriented" and did not look
up to MIT or CalTech standards. I mean, if your goal is to be an
aeronautical engineer, you're going to get better training at MIT or
CalTech or at any of a large number of other engineering schools. I
thought the faculty academic credentials no better than what is found at
a typical smaller four year public university. The military academies
turn out military officers with an education, not highly educated
military officers. But that is their purpose, eh?

--

Holy molly, grandma, put on your high boots.

K. Smith

Harry Krause wrote:
K. Smith wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

tony thomas wrote:

[...]

Note that in her psychotic response, Ms. Smith presents NO reliable
statistics toat posit that longevity on an opti is a potential problem.

And her claims about my ownership of a 1998 Opti 135 are wishful
thinking on her part.

Ms. Smith has claimed many times to be the manufacturer of a diesel
outboard motor, but it is a non-existent line of engines not being built
in her imaginary factory and not sold anywhere in the world as the
result of her invisible marketing plan. Her own "boat," such as it is,
is one step above being declared a hazard to navigation by the
harbormaster.

Tell us again, Ms. Smith, how your "blokes" follow you around Australia
with a portable dock they set up for you.

Bush and the NeoConvicts who control him
are destroying the once-great United States.

Really?? Well I follow them actually; try for accuracy Krause:-) &
again?? I can't remember telling you about the dock, but OK seeing you
asked I'll try to describe it but honestly Krause I don't think you have
the IQ nor basic education to understand the concepts.

It's a floating dock, 4 big pontoons, two can be loaded onto what you
call a pickup, with the tailgate left down, they overhang a ways, are
very high & it's probably not totally legal, they're not heavy as such
just bulky. We have a big trailer which can take all four pontoons & the
related timbers frames etc (just:-)) which when assembled (takes about
3hrs) is just over 5 mtrs in the beam & it's length is adjustable 7.2
mtrs to 10mtrs long with adjustable uprights etc. For "the" boat it's
usually set to 8.5 mtrs long so the 10mtr boat overhangs a bit.

Each of the pontoons has a ball valve (gates valves proved to be too
slow for good flow control so as they each needed replacing, we now use
ball valves), bilge pump & a vent hose clipped up to the top of it's
upright plus each has 2 placky 205 ltr drums (total 8) on tethers which
are adjustable to various lengths.

To operate you set the arms up to allow the boat to float in, then you
open the ball valves & flood the pontoons (opening the stern ones first
so it sinks stern first). With 4 X 2 inch valves it takes over 1 hour to
fully submerge, whereupon it is stopped from sinking outright by the 200
ltr drums, so now the dock is hanging at a submerged depth enough to
allow the boat to float into it (you set the drum tethers to slightly
more than the draft of the boat)

Put the boat in & adjust the side arms so it's supported etc the top is
just like a slipway trolley, then you turn on the bilge pumps that each
of the pontoons has in it. Sorry but I've forgotten the size of the
pumps, haven't seen them in years:-) they're fixed mounted in the
pontoons so when the pontoons are man handled the pumps stay where they
should, but I do know they're big ones:-) because you usually need the
genset running to keep the power up to them when all 4 are on, they have
non return valves on their outlets & are wired up through a little
control panel that has a spirit level in it.

Lifting heavy things (6.5 tonnes & when full of cruising stuff on a
trip just under 7 tonnes) with flotation is a tricky & potentially
dangerous business in general which must be properly managed, this is
all the more true if you're lifting the load from underneath as a dock
does (be warned:-)). Our "procedure" is.

(i) Close the flooding valves (we have a jigger on a long broom handle
so it floats if you drop it:-), you can reach down easily to turn the
valves on & off). Turn the forward pumps on first till the bow starts to
rise, nothing much happens for a while but once the forward pontoons
have enough buoyancy the bow lifts pretty quickly (not unlike a
submarine crash surfacing:-)) During this we have the control panel in
the top centre of the transom, so using the spirit level as guidance you
can just play with the pump switches to make sure the boat (& dock)
don't develop a list. There is a natural safety also because as the bow
lifts the beamy transom submerges a bit (up to the bottom of the OB's
engine tub!!! it was scary bananas watching till I got used to it:-))
the broad transom being resistant to listing (if one side gets more
draft at the same time that reduces the draft on the opposite side so
it's self recovering. There is one final safety "backup" in the buoyancy
drums, which are located at the extreme outside of the dock's 5 mtr
beam. Being on tethers the stern drums particularly stop lifting on the
high side & dramatically increase lift on the low side if a list starts
to develop. As you can see the blokes have well studied this & done lots
of calculations on it.

(ii) Once the forward pontoons have broken the surface & their forward
sections have some freeboard, then the pumps are turned on in the stern
pontoons, again not much happens for a while, then she starts up slowly
getting noticeably quicker till "pop" up she comes, again list is
managed with the pump switches & spirit level as in (i) above & the
natural safety here is provided by the already pumped out front pontoons
which by now have enough freeboard to be self recovering against list as
the transom was during (i) above. The lifting process takes about 1 hour.

Once she's up, turn the pumps off do the bottom or whatever is needed.
Most times if the boat is up for a few days the blokes set the alarms &
get up regularly to make sure all is well, because the pumps have no
float switches etc on them, to date, never a problem.

Some small town harbours get all excited & make grumbling noises but
there isn't much they can do about it because the same boat was floating
in the same place all along we've just made it higher:-), we also have a
big fibreglass tray (1.2mtrs X 1.2mtrs X 0.2mtrs) which we catch any
barnacles or paint flakes, drips etc in, so there's no pollution.

(iii) Unloading is pretty much a reverse operation but you use the
valves to manage the trim & again the stern is submerged first.

I'd like to say the dock draws a crowd when we use it somewhere for the
first time but then the crowd is usually already there asking the usual
questions about the bloody big OB motor:-)

So don't say we don't at least try to educate you about boats Krause
but as usual I'd say the effort is wasted. Hey maybe you can now make up
a new lie about how you have a dock also??? indeed you know all about
them??? but as usual with your lies you fall over when asked a well
placed question by a real boater, you just revert to your usual abuse to
cover the fact you know nothing of boats nor boating.

[...]

Harry Krause, admitted graduate in the humanities with a degree in

English
is hereby qualified to critique the engineering curriculum of not

only West
Point, but also that of the Naval Academy and the Air Force Academy and
compare it to that of MIT and CalTech.

The above paragraph is a classic.

You missed your calling Harry.

SoFarrell

K. Smith wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Tell us again, Ms. Smith, how your "blokes" follow you around Australia
with a portable dock they set up for you.

Really?? Well I follow them actually; try for accuracy Krause:-) &
again?? I can't remember telling you about the dock, but OK seeing you
asked I'll try to describe it but honestly Krause I don't think you have
the IQ nor basic education to understand the concepts.

It's a floating dock, 4 big pontoons, two can be loaded onto what you
call a pickup, with the tailgate left down,

Just take along a truck tire innertube when you go to the lake. It should
be enough to hold you up in the water. No need to be so flashy.

Do you actually know this Karen Smith?

Me Again

SoFarrell,

Harry does not know Karen, he is just upset because her knowledge of marine
engines allowed her to have detailed discussions on high tech engines .

Her boating discussions had a tendency to reduce the number of replies to
his political cut and pastes.

news:1113053992.1722a472eb5669b0f2293657b366e5f6@t eranews...

K. Smith wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Tell us again, Ms. Smith, how your "blokes" follow you around Australia
with a portable dock they set up for you.

Really?? Well I follow them actually; try for accuracy Krause:-) &
again?? I can't remember telling you about the dock, but OK seeing you
asked I'll try to describe it but honestly Krause I don't think you have
the IQ nor basic education to understand the concepts.

It's a floating dock, 4 big pontoons, two can be loaded onto what
you call a pickup, with the tailgate left down,

Just take along a truck tire innertube when you go to the lake. It should
be enough to hold you up in the water. No need to be so flashy.

Do you actually know this Karen Smith?

The Outboard Motor Drive System winder General 0 December 28th 04 11:05 AM
dead outboard? Evan Gatehouse Cruising 11 June 16th 04 07:34 PM
Outboard Overboard!!!! Bobsprit ASA 20 June 14th 04 05:24 PM
Tiller and outboard - which one controls ? Sven General 6 December 6th 03 02:15 AM
Converting I/O to Outboard with Jack Plate Mile Sullivan General 5 September 19th 03 02:59 AM