Bobsprit

Default Outboard Overboard!!!!

My buddy managed to drop his 7HP outboard into the water yesterday and rip out
his thumbnail in the process. More painful than his thumb, the outboard was in
10 feet of water. We talked about what to do, knowing full well what had to be
done. I used Alien's whisker pole to locate the engine in the mud. Holding the
pole to mark the spot, I was able to swim down (after a few tries) and tie a
line to the motor. We hauled it up.
I carried the motor over to my friend who does the yards outboard work and an
hour later (fresh water wash, flush, WD 40 flush for head and carb and so on,
the motor was running as if nothing had happened!
Interesting that when the outboard dropped into the water, my buddy says it was
floating for a moment! I guess there was enough air in the hat.

RB
Scott Vernon

butter fingers bob admitted ....
My buddy me managed to drop his my7HP outboard into
the water yesterday and rip out his my thumbnail in the process.

pour some salt on it.

More painful than hismy thumb, the outboard was in
10 feet of water.

All you had to do was lower your 15' stern ladder and walk down to it.

RB

Bobsprit

butter fingers bob admitted ....
My buddy me managed to drop his my7HP outboard into
the water yesterday and rip out his my thumbnail in the process.

Sorry... items I've dropped:
A Cell Phone
A cheap 25 dollar FM radio
A power screwdriver
Actually, they're all worse than the outboard since he got it back and it's
fine. My cell phone is still taking calls 20 feet under my slip.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

Sometimes, if the engine isn't running, it's not too bad. If it's running
when it goes in, it's generally toast.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
[...]

Bobsprit

Sometimes, if the engine isn't running, it's not too bad. If it's running
when it goes in, it's generally toast.

Yes, I was told that if had been running we would have had to tear the engine
down almost completely. Can't see how a running engine would get dropped.
Should I ask Loco? Nahhh!

RB

Joe

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Sometimes, if the engine isn't running, it's not too bad. If it's running
when it goes in, it's generally toast.

Not true. I use to rent outboard skiffs and take them to point loma
near San Deigo. We would check out the kelp fields the seals ect then
surf the boats on the ocean swells breaking on the point. It was a
blast, but often you were swamped going full speed and the engine and
all goes under. We would just drag them up on the beach, dry them out
crank the water thru dry the plugs and sand them with a piece of emery
cloth and go right back to do it again. I found a punt off the ship
channel last year and surfed the ship wakes between morgans point and
the Fred Heartman bridge. Was a blast 3 or 4 miles of surfing on a 13
kt wave until I nose dived into the bottom of the roller and the boat
went head over heels.

Still have the same outboard after having to swim with it and the
upside down boat for a half mile. Secret is just open it up wash, oil
everything and get the water out of were it does not belong.

Got a free outboard once, guy droped it in 14 foot of water. He had to
much money and just said he was going to get a new one. So I dove in
and retrieved it right then. Gave it to a Brit that was crusing thru.

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Vernon

El Clutzo wrote....
butter fingers bob admitted ....
My buddy me managed to drop his my7HP outboard into
the water yesterday and rip out his my thumbnail in the process.

Sorry... other items I've dropped:
A Cell Phone
A cheap 25 dollar FM radio
A power screwdriver

I bet before you dropped it , it was a high end expensive radio.

Bobsprit

That would mean you have a whisker pole that extends to over twelve
feet. Sounds like bull**** to me.

Anyone want to explain to Horvath that a whisker poll on a 32 foot boat will
generally extend to 15' or more. I believe mine goes to 18' or 20'.
Horvath, I seriously doubt you sail. It's simply very unlikely.

RB