Clams Canino

Default Worlds Most Powerfull 4 stroke OB

All we know is that it's a DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder, inline six. Could be
a take off on any Jap motorcycle design, or it could be a ground up block.
shrug

Before you sell it short, give it a chance. Overall, Mercury has a pretty
good track record. It'll take a little time to see how this critter works
out in the real world. One thing I know, they usually do pretty extensive
field testing before a rollout.

-W

"Sir Spamalot" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:50:19 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

Mercury Marine unveils the new Verado today.

Supercharged even.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/

-W

Oh christ, just what we need; a "supercharged" outboard. These
Mercury folks are really getting desperate, and have pulled all of the
technology "punches" to get attention.

This may well be the last nail in the coffin for Mercury.

I wonder who's block they are using? Hope it's not GM. Or
Diamler-Chrysler. Or Ford. Anyone know? Anyone have any other tech
info, other than the virtually useless info that's already been
written by the marketeers?

It'll be interesting to watch how this all plays out.

NOSPAM: Please remove "my" in "comcast" to reply.

Dan Krueger

Weren't Yamaha twin 115 4 strokes an option? They would be slower due to their
weight but twins nonetheless...

Dan

Harry Krause wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

Yamaha currently has a 300HP DFI. They also have the 150 4 strokes for twin
installations. That's the direction I'm heading at the moment since I have to
consider the benefit of twins for trips to the Bahamas.

Dan

Harry Krause wrote:

Yeah, I tried to get a pair of Merc 150 Optis on my Parker, but the
factory wouldn't sell that model boat without Yamaha engines, so I got
the Yamaha F225. It's a fine engine, and does drive the boat well at
good cruising speeds. But I'd probably go for twins if I were
outboarding to the Bamahas regularly. Where I do most of my boating
these days, I can see both the eastern and western shorelines and I have
yet to be out of VHF or cell range.

K Smith

wrote:

Mercury Marine unveils the new Verado today.

Supercharged even.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/

-W

Oh christ, just what we need; a "supercharged" outboard. These
Mercury folks are really getting desperate, and have pulled all of the
technology "punches" to get attention.

This may well be the last nail in the coffin for Mercury.

I wonder who's block they are using? Hope it's not GM. Or
Diamler-Chrysler. Or Ford. Anyone know? Anyone have any other tech
info, other than the virtually useless info that's already been
written by the marketeers?

It'll be interesting to watch how this all plays out.

NOSPAM: Please remove "my" in "comcast" to reply.

& she won't if they're "based" on that 270 HP 6cyl GM engine which I
think they are.

4 stroke ?? big tick

multi cam multi valve?? more ticks

Tried & proven injection systems?? ticks again

supercharged ?? maybe not a tick but GM have been supercharging their 6
cyl engines for a while with success so certainly not a cross.

The comments here are that the only prob will be the way they've stood
it on it's end & effectively dry sumped it, & that's probably been
supervised by GM anyway

Harry Krause

Harry Krause wrote:

Yeah, I tried to get a pair of Merc 150 Optis on my Parker, but the
factory wouldn't sell that model boat without Yamaha engines, so I got
the Yamaha F225. It's a fine engine, and does drive the boat well at
good cruising speeds. But I'd probably go for twins if I were
outboarding to the Bamahas regularly. Where I do most of my boating
these days, I can see both the eastern and western shorelines and I have
yet to be out of VHF or cell range.

Not enough power, Dan. The F225 is right on the edge of "underpowered,"
at least in my opinion, and two 115s would not have performed as well
because of the extra drag and a little more weight. I get 39 mph at WOT,
and can cruise at 30 mph, which is just about enough. But a 300 hp four
stroke would give me that 30 mph cruise at less than 4500 rpm, which is
what I have to run now to get it.

--
Email sent to is never read.

del cecchi

"K Smith" wrote in message
snip
The comments here are that the only prob will be the way they've stood
it on it's end & effectively dry sumped it, & that's probably been
supervised by GM anyway

Motorcycles and others have been dry sumped for years. Not exactly
rocket science.

del cecchi

FishFan

"Clams Canino" wrote in message news:fbVWb.17180$_44.19735@attbi_s52...
Mercury Marine unveils the new Verado today.

Supercharged even.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/

-W

Anybody look at the weight?

649 lbs for a 225!!

Thats 80 lbs more then a 4 stroke Suzuki/Johnson 225/250 or Yammy/Merc
225, over a 100 lbs more then a Yammy 250 HPDI, and 200 lbs more the
then just about any Carbed or EFI 2-stroke outboard already hanging on
the back of most boats a few years old or more.

FishFan
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 14 Feb 2004 12:44:58 -0800, (FishFan) wrote:

"Clams Canino" wrote in message news:fbVWb.17180$_44.19735@attbi_s52...
Mercury Marine unveils the new Verado today.

Supercharged even.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/

-W

Anybody look at the weight?

649 lbs for a 225!!

Thats 80 lbs more then a 4 stroke Suzuki/Johnson 225/250 or Yammy/Merc
225, over a 100 lbs more then a Yammy 250 HPDI, and 200 lbs more the
then just about any Carbed or EFI 2-stroke outboard already hanging on
the back of most boats a few years old or more.

Who cares - the logo is KEWL!!!!!

;)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern
K Smith

del cecchi wrote:
"K Smith" wrote in message
snip

The comments here are that the only prob will be the way they've stood
it on it's end & effectively dry sumped it, & that's probably been
supervised by GM anyway

Motorcycles and others have been dry sumped for years. Not exactly
rocket science.

del cecchi

NO but we have tried it a bit & there can be "issues", some of the
japanese engines have the oil pump at the front main bearing, so they
don't prime too well. Of course a separate pump would be an easy enough
solution or just good non return valving.

Alas running oxidisation under pressure in a closed chamber "is" rocket
science, but if it really is that engine then the mixtures etc will all
be "normal". You expect this from me:-)

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke?? jeffo General 7 February 14th 04 11:20 PM
4 stroke produces more "thrust"???? RG General 24 December 10th 03 03:14 AM
Changing Spark Plugs Mercury 4 Stroke Engine Ernie General 0 October 7th 03 04:01 AM
old 2 stroke oil mix calhoun General 5 October 6th 03 07:45 PM
what is the right spark plug for a 25 hp johnson/evenrude 2 stroke mike General 2 September 3rd 03 10:00 AM