Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Question about counter rotating props...

Somebody at my marina decided to play a practical joke on me and
swapped the props on my Contender - I have counter rotating outboards.

Here's the question: What effect would this have caused?

My thinking is that if I had put the boat into reverse the boat would
go forward and vice versa.

But I'm not really sure.

Any thoughts?

Oh and I know who the practical joker is - he has a Century and I'm
thinking of what I can do in return. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)
Wayne.B

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:39:52 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

My thinking is that if I had put the boat into reverse the boat would
go forward and vice versa.

===============================

Yes, some "friend". How did you find out in advance?

If he has an electric head you could try reversing the polarity on the
motor wiring.
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

My thinking is that if I had put the boat into reverse the boat would
go forward and vice versa.

===============================

Yes, some "friend". How did you find out in advance?

Shiny new duct tape on the prop exhausts rather than dull gray.

He obviously thought I wouldn't notice. ;)

Of course, this was in retaliation for placing an extra lock on his
dock lines during the last bluefish tournament. He got out an hour
later than he wanted to.

~~ snicker ~~

He really is a life long good friend - we've been playing jokes on
each other since high school.

If he has an electric head you could try reversing the polarity on the
motor wiring.

It's got to be something that won't potentially sink the boat.

I'll come up with something I'm sure.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)

otnmbrd

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Somebody at my marina decided to play a practical joke on me and
swapped the props on my Contender - I have counter rotating outboards.

Here's the question: What effect would this have caused?

My thinking is that if I had put the boat into reverse the boat would
go forward and vice versa.

That should be the most obvious result, but you'd also go from inboard
turning to outboard turning, or vice versa, which has handling affects.
(hope I'm visualizing this correctly)

But I'm not really sure.

Any thoughts?

Oh and I know who the practical joker is - he has a Century and I'm
thinking of what I can do in return. :

eg switch his throttle/shift cables

otn

John Gaquin

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in

I'll come up with something I'm sure.

Stick with the prop theme. He'll likely be looking elsewhere. Just remove
his props.

Ron White

Yes you could put the things into reverse and gone merrliy along , for a
while, then your clockwise (std.) lower unit would have fried. The counter
would not be bothered by this reversal of position as reverse in this unit
is actually forward as far as which gear in the lower unit is engaged to the
pinion. Actually "fried" maybe be an overstatment, the std. being run in
reverse would just overheat and may or may not "fry". The frying would
depend on how hot it got. If it got hot enought to overpressure and lose
it's oil, then "fry" it would.
The counter unit is pretty much the same as the std. but it has some nice
needle bearing thrust washers to handle the unit being run in reverse all
the time. So to review, the std. would in reverse (not ok), the counter in
forward ( that's ok).

--
Ron White
my boatbuilding web site is:

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 07 Feb 2004 14:58:24 EST, "Ron White"
wrote:

Yes you could put the things into reverse and gone merrliy along , for a
while, then your clockwise (std.) lower unit would have fried. The counter
would not be bothered by this reversal of position as reverse in this unit
is actually forward as far as which gear in the lower unit is engaged to the
pinion. Actually "fried" maybe be an overstatment, the std. being run in
reverse would just overheat and may or may not "fry". The frying would
depend on how hot it got. If it got hot enought to overpressure and lose
it's oil, then "fry" it would.
The counter unit is pretty much the same as the std. but it has some nice
needle bearing thrust washers to handle the unit being run in reverse all
the time. So to review, the std. would in reverse (not ok), the counter in
forward ( that's ok).

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the boat would
do the opposite or just sit there.

Always nice to learn something new.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)
Wayne.B

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 16:12:49 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

If he has an electric head you could try reversing the polarity on the
motor wiring.

It's got to be something that won't potentially sink the boat.

I believe that would potentially stink the boat.

Rod McInnis

Here's the question: What effect would this have caused?

Not sure what the question is. The obvious effect is that you would have
gone foward instead of reverse when you tried to back out of the skip or off
the trailer/

If you are asking if you could run this way, then I would advise against it.
I can't speak of all units, but on the few outboards, I/Os and inboard
transmissions that I have worked on, forward and reverse were NOT created
equal. While the forward gear clutches a strong and capable of handling the
prolonged use of full engine power, reverse is not. Reverse is intended for
slow speed maneuvering. I would be afraid that you would burn up the gears
and or clutches in short order.

A few minutes of operation at slow speeds while you figured out what was
going on would probably not have done any harm. So unless something was
damaged in the process of removing the props, then no harm was done.

Rod

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:52:25 -0800, "Rod McInnis"

.. .

[...]

That's what I figured.

No harm, no foul. However, I've rewired his jack plate and trim
switches - reversed of course.

Heh, heh, heh...

Later,

Tom