Rod McInnis

Default Question about counter rotating props...

Here's the question: What effect would this have caused?

Not sure what the question is. The obvious effect is that you would have
gone foward instead of reverse when you tried to back out of the skip or off
the trailer/

If you are asking if you could run this way, then I would advise against it.
I can't speak of all units, but on the few outboards, I/Os and inboard
transmissions that I have worked on, forward and reverse were NOT created
equal. While the forward gear clutches a strong and capable of handling the
prolonged use of full engine power, reverse is not. Reverse is intended for
slow speed maneuvering. I would be afraid that you would burn up the gears
and or clutches in short order.

A few minutes of operation at slow speeds while you figured out what was
going on would probably not have done any harm. So unless something was
damaged in the process of removing the props, then no harm was done.

Rod