cgilbert

Default Failure to winterize = dead engine? Restoration potential?

simply: I failed to winterize my 90hp outboard this year. Is it dead? If
so, can it be fixed? What steps should I take?

Hi, I'm new to this group and it seems like a great place for boating
information, so I'm hoping someone can help my novice self out of a stupid
mistake.

After 9 years of enjoying my Scout 172 and Yamaha 90hp outboard motor, I
finally screwed up and failed to winterize it. Just before hurricane
Elizabeth (Isabel?), I took it out of the water. I drained it and flushed
the engine, hoping to return to it (since it's 2 hours from me) in a week or
two to either re-launch it or winterize it. Family emergencies (and
forgetfulness) prevented me from getting this done.

Now, it's been sitting outside through three snowstorms and harsh wind. Is
the engine (and hull) wrecked? What even happens to an un-winterized
engine?

Fearing the worst, can I restore this engine? I haven't tried to run it
because I don't want to damage it further. Is there anything I can do
before running it to check for damage? Should I try to winterize it
somehow?

And if it's totally wrecked, ::sigh:: does anyone near the Jersey shore have
a good Yamaha 90hp engine to sell? Thanks in advance.
MPerlst216

If you are lucky, the engine has no damage, but I bet the lower unit is cracked
from the water that collected and then froze.
Messing In Boats

The only thing you really have to do to winterize an outboard is to put
it away in a verticle position so the water drains out and doesn't
freeze. If you had any water leak into your lower unit you're in
trouble, though.

Everything else is recommended (and usually a good idea, I might add!).
This includes fogging, lower unit grease change, greasing the prop
shaft, 4 stroke oil change, gas treatment, etc. I would venture to say
most outboards don't even get a goodnight kiss before the cold winds
blow around them, and I live in Minnesota, where it was just -24.

It's too late to worry about it anyway, but I bet it will work fine when
the water gets soft again.

Capt. Jeff

NOYB

"Messing In Boats" wrote in message
The only thing you really have to do to winterize an outboard is to put
it away in a verticle position so the water drains out and doesn't
freeze. If you had any water leak into your lower unit you're in
trouble, though.

Probably not. More than likely, one of the seals would blow and would need
replacing.

John H

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:25:57 GMT, "cgilbert" wrote:

[...]

By now you've read all the posts that say your engine is *probably*
OK. Hopefully, you left it in a vertical position, but if you left it
in the 'trailer' position, you may still be in luck. I had a 70hp
Johnson that spent several winters on the back of a Whaler on a
trailer. No problem ever developed. Just take it in for a spring
service, tune up, etc. and I'll bet you're OK.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

none

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately, I (somehow) left it in the
angled position; engine raised and put on the stopper with the hydraulic
pistons completely retracted. I leave it that way instinctively when in the
water, so I just screwed up and left it that way on the trailer.

Can this engine be restored? Can someone just take it apart and replace the
cracked parts before we even try and start it, hurting it more? Is there a
way *I* can tell if it's cracked, to save myself the embarrassment of the
service guy telling me I'm a fool?

Thanks again.
John H

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:31:41 GMT, "none" wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately, I (somehow) left it in the
angled position; engine raised and put on the stopper with the hydraulic
pistons completely retracted. I leave it that way instinctively when in the
water, so I just screwed up and left it that way on the trailer.

Can this engine be restored? Can someone just take it apart and replace the
cracked parts before we even try and start it, hurting it more? Is there a
way *I* can tell if it's cracked, to save myself the embarrassment of the
service guy telling me I'm a fool?

Thanks again.

Why do you think it's all cracked? Have you tried starting it yet.
Even in the trailering position, the water probably drained out just
fine. Have you looked at it?