Messing In Boats

Default Failure to winterize = dead engine? Restoration potential?

The only thing you really have to do to winterize an outboard is to put
it away in a verticle position so the water drains out and doesn't
freeze. If you had any water leak into your lower unit you're in
trouble, though.

Everything else is recommended (and usually a good idea, I might add!).
This includes fogging, lower unit grease change, greasing the prop
shaft, 4 stroke oil change, gas treatment, etc. I would venture to say
most outboards don't even get a goodnight kiss before the cold winds
blow around them, and I live in Minnesota, where it was just -24.

It's too late to worry about it anyway, but I bet it will work fine when
the water gets soft again.

Capt. Jeff