William G. Andersen

Default Insurance: what's the difference?

What's the difference in insurance coverage between marine insurance like
BoatUS and USAA, Progressive, etc?
Seems to me that the real difference is that marine insurance would cover me
in the case of fuel/oil spills as well as crashing, sinking or theft.
My runabout's insured with USAA and I think the policy only covers liability
if I hurt someone. That was all I was initially concerned about - same as
car insurance.
I then bought BoatUS Towing and Trailer Coverage - haven't needed a tow yet,
but did use them when my tow vehicle wouldn't restart and I was on the
launch ramp.

One major difference between a marine insurance company and a car
insurance company willing to write a policy on a boat is that a boater
can buy a "yacht" policy through a marine insurance company.

Take the following scenario, for example:

Billybob Boater buys a Bubbly Bay boat for about $200,000. He insures
with a marine insurance company, and selects a yacht (or agreed value)
insurance policy. Two years later, ol' Billybob has a brain fart, runs
the wrong side of a channel marker, and rips the bottom out of the
Bubbly Bay boat and it bubbles down to the bottom of the bay. She's a
total.

The marine insurance company says, "Gee, that was dumb- but you insured
your boat for
$200,000 so here's a check for the same amount. May we suggest a
competitor when you decide to take up boating again?"

Now put ol' Billybob in the same Bubbly Bay Boat, with the same brain
fart and the same results, but let's say he saved a couple of bucks by
putting his boat into the same good
hands that insure his house and his car.

The insurance adjuster will say, "Gee that was dumb- but let's figure
out how to settle your claim....You bought the boat for $200,000, new,
and used it for two years.
According to our seagoing automobile depreciation schedule, a two year
old boat is worth no more than 60% of what you paid for it, so that
brings us down to $120,000. We can't just write you a check for the
$120,000, however, until we do an investigation to see what kind of
condition the boat was in just before it sank. You do take photos, with
a time a date stamp, every time you take the boat out, right? Do you
have the receipts for all the manufacturer recommended services?
They were on the boat? Oh, that's too bad............"

By the way, when the automobile insurance company wants to settle on
the mega-cheap, one of the tools they will haul out early on will be
the National Automobile Dealers Association's opinion of the value of
your boat. (See NADA book remarks in the "used boat price" thread). :-)

Bert Robbins

wrote in message
oups.com...
One major difference between a marine insurance company and a car
insurance company willing to write a policy on a boat is that a boater
can buy a "yacht" policy through a marine insurance company.

Chuck, I can tell that you really don't know anything about USAA and the
services they provide to their members.

Bert Robbins observed:

Chuck, I can tell that you really don't know anything about USAA and
the
services they provide to their members.

***************

???

I don't think I mentioned USAA at all.

Can you buy an agreed hull value "yacht policy" through USAA?

If so, they fall into the better class of the two types of policies I
described.

Most car insurance companies do not offer agreed hull value insurance.
USAA may be an exception.

William G. Andersen

Bert,
I've got home, car, and boat insurance with USAA. I think it's a good
company.
I don't think they provide boaters anything other than the same kind of
liability insurance they provide for cars.
If I'm right, I'm not paying much for insurance, but I'm not covered for
salvage, theft, etc.

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:50:19 -0500, "Bert Robbins"
wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
One major difference between a marine insurance company and a car
insurance company willing to write a policy on a boat is that a boater
can buy a "yacht" policy through a marine insurance company.

Chuck, I can tell that you really don't know anything about USAA and the
services they provide to their members.

Care to enlighten we ignorant few? Their website doesn't mention
boating insurance.... but, ever mindful of a good deal, I'm
interested.

I think Chuck is correct in his assessment that companies regularly
insuring marine concerns have a better understanding and response than
those not doing so.... Personally, I got tired of being dropped by
insurors because my boat was on the East Coast. Every time a major
hurricane hit the East Coast the geographical extent of insurance
cancellations crept North.... wave after wave....

I finally settled on a marine insuror and I no longer have to play the
cat and mouse game by proxy held between Mother Nature and
underwriters that just don't have their heart in marine casualty....

USAA = United Services Automobile Association. They started out life
providing auto insurance to commissioned officers in the uniformed
services. Later they opened it up to the dependents of the members. The
eligibility has been expanded into the enlisted ranks of the military now.

My dad insured his house, cars and boat through USAA.

I have insured house, boat and cars through USAA. I especially like the
refund checks I receive due to the association not having to pay out in
claims as much as they estimated.

If you can get it it is a great company.

Butch Davis

USAA writes yacht policies with agreeded upon values as well as more basic
policies for those with small boats. Have had them insuring my boats for 28
years and they have been great with the very few claims I've submitted.

Although they started life as an auto insurance association they are full
service now and have been for decades. They do not advertise AFAIK and seek
members from the uniformed services to include NOAA and USPHS.

If one qualifies for membership it's a super outfit with which to deal.
They are not cheap but provide superior service as well as an annual check
(partial refund). Great value if you value service, prompt settelments, and
fair treatment.

Butch
wrote in message
oups.com...
Bert Robbins observed:

Chuck, I can tell that you really don't know anything about USAA and
the
services they provide to their members.

***************

???

I don't think I mentioned USAA at all.

Can you buy an agreed hull value "yacht policy" through USAA?

If so, they fall into the better class of the two types of policies I
described.

Most car insurance companies do not offer agreed hull value insurance.
USAA may be an exception.

John H

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 03:05:25 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:50:19 -0500, "Bert Robbins"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Gene, if you're not an officer in the military, active or retired, forget it.
--
John H

John H

wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:50:19 -0500, "Bert Robbins"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Whoops, just read Bert's post. I didn't realize they'd started accepting
enlisted soldiers.
--
John H

~^ beancounter ~^

hands down, the best insurance co i have ever dealt
with....and, the refund checks each year allow me to
buy more boat and plane gear as well....

John H

On 24 Mar 2005 10:15:44 -0800, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

hands down, the best insurance co i have ever dealt
with....and, the refund checks each year allow me to
buy more boat and plane gear as well....

Ssshhh! (Everyone will be wanting to join the military.)

--
John H