n0sPaM

Default Synthetic oil on 2-stroke question

I have a Mercury 20HP 2-stroke and I have been using the standard 2-stroke
motor oil bought from walmart. Is it worthy to upgrade to 2-stoke synthetic
motor oil. If so, what brand do u recommend? and what is the procedure? do I
have to engine flush it (just like car) before switching to synthetic?
Thanks for help

Boating Newbie

noah

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:44:17 GMT, "n0sPaM"
wrote:

I have a Mercury 20HP 2-stroke and I have been using the standard 2-stroke
motor oil bought from walmart. Is it worthy to upgrade to 2-stoke synthetic
motor oil. If so, what brand do u recommend? and what is the procedure? do I
have to engine flush it (just like car) before switching to synthetic?
Thanks for help

Boating Newbie

BN-synthetic oil has definite advantages, and disadvantages, versus
regular oil. It is my understanding that it adheres better to metal
surfaces, giving slightly better lubrication, and more initial
lubrication on start-up. The down side is that it costs more.

I have been using synthetic-blend in my trucks and I/O's for years.
I'm not sure of the cost/benefit ratio for 2-cyles, but it won't hurt.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
John Wentworth

"n0sPaM" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I have a Mercury 20HP 2-stroke and I have been using the standard 2-stroke
motor oil bought from walmart. Is it worthy to upgrade to 2-stoke

synthetic
motor oil. If so, what brand do u recommend? and what is the procedure? do

have to engine flush it (just like car) before switching to synthetic?
Thanks for help

Boating Newbie

A 20HP 2-stroke merc is not a high-tech motor. I suspect the only advantage
a more expensive oil might provide is increased profits to the oil
manufacturer. You should be using a TCW3 rated oil, the engine was designed
to provide full service with this oil. I have a 1976 Evinrude 9.9HP that
runs very well using conventional oil, synthetic oil just isn't needed. None
the less, if you do go to synthetic, it should blend with your existing oil
as long as both are rated for TCW3. I think the key question is "Are you
having an oil related problem now?", if not, why switch? If you're seeing a
cash overflow problem, just send it to me.

Curtis CCR

"n0sPaM" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
I have a Mercury 20HP 2-stroke and I have been using the standard 2-stroke
motor oil bought from walmart. Is it worthy to upgrade to 2-stoke synthetic
motor oil. If so, what brand do u recommend? and what is the procedure? do I
have to engine flush it (just like car) before switching to synthetic?
Thanks for help

I think the best argument for using a synthetic in a two stroke is it
burns cleaner. The difference in lubrication qualities between
conventional and synthetic is probably negligable. The oil in a
typical two stroke is continually being "changed" (used, burned, sent
out the exhaust port). There is always fresh oil running through the
engine - theoretically.

I use it in my Rotax engines because it smokes less and is a little
more environmentally friendly. Noticably less residue on the back of
the boat, and biodegrades more quickly. I don't kid myself - I don't
think of my two strokes as "green machines", but synthetic oil
mitigates enough of junk that I think the extra money is worth it.
And my engines don't use enough oil to gripe about the price.
Tuuk

I notice a huge difference with my 70hp Johnson, VRO. With the cheap oil, it
will not idle, will stall quickly. With the better oil, runs like a champ.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
"n0sPaM" wrote in message

ble.rogers.com...
[...]

Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM
Quick Prop Question M.E. General 10 August 2nd 03 03:53 AM
Sea Ray 260DA question RG General 0 July 16th 03 10:07 PM
Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke Eisboch General 1 July 14th 03 04:01 PM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM