Tuuk

Default Synthetic oil on 2-stroke question

I notice a huge difference with my 70hp Johnson, VRO. With the cheap oil, it
will not idle, will stall quickly. With the better oil, runs like a champ.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
"n0sPaM" wrote in message

ble.rogers.com...
I have a Mercury 20HP 2-stroke and I have been using the standard

2-stroke
motor oil bought from walmart. Is it worthy to upgrade to 2-stoke

synthetic
motor oil. If so, what brand do u recommend? and what is the procedure?

do I
have to engine flush it (just like car) before switching to synthetic?
Thanks for help

I think the best argument for using a synthetic in a two stroke is it
burns cleaner. The difference in lubrication qualities between
conventional and synthetic is probably negligable. The oil in a
typical two stroke is continually being "changed" (used, burned, sent
out the exhaust port). There is always fresh oil running through the
engine - theoretically.

I use it in my Rotax engines because it smokes less and is a little
more environmentally friendly. Noticably less residue on the back of
the boat, and biodegrades more quickly. I don't kid myself - I don't
think of my two strokes as "green machines", but synthetic oil
mitigates enough of junk that I think the extra money is worth it.
And my engines don't use enough oil to gripe about the price.