John Wentworth

Default Synthetic oil on 2-stroke question

"n0sPaM" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I have a Mercury 20HP 2-stroke and I have been using the standard 2-stroke
motor oil bought from walmart. Is it worthy to upgrade to 2-stoke

synthetic
motor oil. If so, what brand do u recommend? and what is the procedure? do

have to engine flush it (just like car) before switching to synthetic?
Thanks for help

Boating Newbie

A 20HP 2-stroke merc is not a high-tech motor. I suspect the only advantage
a more expensive oil might provide is increased profits to the oil
manufacturer. You should be using a TCW3 rated oil, the engine was designed
to provide full service with this oil. I have a 1976 Evinrude 9.9HP that
runs very well using conventional oil, synthetic oil just isn't needed. None
the less, if you do go to synthetic, it should blend with your existing oil
as long as both are rated for TCW3. I think the key question is "Are you
having an oil related problem now?", if not, why switch? If you're seeing a
cash overflow problem, just send it to me.