Don White

Default Spring is coming...maybe.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
snip...
Spring. Get here already.

I had cabin fever myself on the weekend. Made my back sore trying to do
speed walking on my treadmill Friday, so I had to get my floor exercise mat
out for a few rounds of back exercise. I took the van and drove down to a
popular beach on Mahone Bay. Tide was high and this makes the beach very
narrow. A cold wind was blowing and there was slush in the water at some
places...but I could Fantasy about this summer. I'll anchor my sailboat off
the beach and under a makeshift bimini cover, I'll checkout the lovely
ladies while sipping on a cold 'brown beverage'. When I get too hot , I'll
just slip overboard for a refreshing swim. This beach, although small, is
one of the few on our Atlantic coast where you can swim in relative comfort
from mid July till Labour Day.
see Queensland Beach...much better looking at low tide & during the summer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Hpim0080.jpg

Don White

"Don White" wrote in message

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Hpim0080.jpg

Don White

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Looks like one of those northern beaches to me.

You really swim in the ocean up there? What's the highest the water temp
gets in July or August?

I tried swimming of a nice beach in Maine a few years ago. Well,
swimming is not accurate. I walked into the water until it was just
below the family jewels, and then decided if I went in any further,
they'd recede so deep into my body they'd never emerge.

When I was a kid, the water temps in Long Island Sound and even at
Revere Beach near Boston were fine by me. Nowadays, I like my ocean
bath-water temp.

At Queensland..probably in the high 60's or 70 F. On the North Shore
between Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, they brag it's the warmest
salt water north of Virginia...although that's not really the Atlantic
Ocean...it's the Northumberland Strait.
A short drive from the city are half a dozen big, wide beautiful
beaches...some suitable for surfing, but you'd better bring a wetsuit. Clam
Harbour might be an exception...it's very shallow for a long ways out. Great
for kiddies.
see http://www.highway7.com/to_beaches.html

Wayne.B

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:57:13 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Hpim0080.jpg

Don's picture of a rocky, cold looking beach in Nova Scotia has
inspired me to post pictures from our February cruise to Venice (FL),
St Pete Beach, Isla del Sol YC, Long Boat Key, Sarasota Bay, Cabbage
Key, Useppa Island and Pine Island Sound.

Included are pictures of a REAL beach (no offense intended Don).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoonos...bum?.dir=/d25d

DSK

Wayne.B wrote:
Don's picture of a rocky, cold looking beach in Nova Scotia has
inspired me to post pictures from our February cruise to Venice (FL),
St Pete Beach, Isla del Sol YC, Long Boat Key, Sarasota Bay, Cabbage
Key, Useppa Island and Pine Island Sound.

Included are pictures of a REAL beach (no offense intended Don).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoonos...bum?.dir=/d25d

Cool pics. The one of dolphins in the wake is the best dolphin pic I've
seen in a long time... usually by the time I snap one, they're gone.

505 Midwinters? How'd your son do?

Fair Skies
Doug King

Wayne.B

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:54:10 -0500, DSK wrote:

Cool pics. The one of dolphins in the wake is the best dolphin pic I've
seen in a long time... usually by the time I snap one, they're gone.

505 Midwinters? How'd your son do?

===============================

The dolphins are particularly hard to catch with a digital camera
because of that annoying little lag after you push the button. I just
got a new Olympus D-540 which seems a bit better in that respect. Our
GB49 is a virtual dolphin magnet at cruising speed for some reason.
We sometimes have as many as 7 or 8, surfing the wake for miles at a
time.

My son was 8th in a fifteen boat fleet, right squarely in the middle
of a very competetive pack. There were several olympians, sailmakers
and national class champions in the top 5, so being in the middle of a
fleet like that is a decent accomplishment. They are really exciting
boats to watch on a windy day. We were committee boat for the regatta
and had a ringside seat for the whole thing. First day the winds were
15 to 20 kts, gusting 25. There were lot's of capsizes and screaming
spinnaker reaches. The last day the winds went light and things got
very closely bunched and tactical.

DSK

Wayne.B wrote:
The dolphins are particularly hard to catch with a digital camera
because of that annoying little lag after you push the button.

Tell me about it...

.... Our
GB49 is a virtual dolphin magnet at cruising speed for some reason.
We sometimes have as many as 7 or 8, surfing the wake for miles at a
time.

We tend to get a lot of them in the bow wave. About a dozen times in the
past 2 years they seem to want to jump up and tap our anchor in it's
bowsprit chocks.

Your son sounds like he's doing pretty well. I never aspired to racing
the 505, it's a bit too gadgetry crammed into too small a package for
me. They are cool boats though. Mid fleet in a group like that is quite
respectable IMHO, it shows pretty solid mastery of sailing.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Don White

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
snip...
Included are pictures of a REAL beach (no offense intended Don).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoonos...bum?.dir=/d25d

Yeah...but you have to put up with those plus sized snowbirds wearing too
skimpy bathing suits.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:32:32 -0500, DSK wrote:

Your son sounds like he's doing pretty well. I never aspired to racing
the 505, it's a bit too gadgetry crammed into too small a package for
me. They are cool boats though. Mid fleet in a group like that is quite
respectable IMHO, it shows pretty solid mastery of sailing.

=============================

We always hoped he would grow up to enjoy sailing but he may have
turned out a bit over cooked since he was elected to the ICYRA hall of
fame in his junior year (on my nickel of course). He's in his second
year of law school now and is supposed to be spending his time
studying real hard...

Wayne.B

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:06:17 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Fat Chiz in Thongs...yikes~

Sometimes at the bar even. THAT gets attention.