steve620

Default Gelcoat

I have a 18ft Baylinner with a Cuddy and I need to Gelcoat it but
never did it before. Is it hard? I don’t want to mess it up. I’ve been
told you just roll it on like painting a house. When I told people
that I was going to let a marina do it they thought I was nuts, can
anybody give me any advice??

--
Posted using the http://www.boatforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.boatforumz.com/Boat-Gener...pict14128.html
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 6 Mar 2005 13:47:18 -0500, steve620
wrote:

I have a 18ft Baylinner with a Cuddy and I need to Gelcoat it but
never did it before. Is it hard? I don’t want to mess it up. I’ve been
told you just roll it on like painting a house. When I told people
that I was going to let a marina do it they thought I was nuts, can
anybody give me any advice??

Are you looking to refresh the paint or change colors?

The normal method is to use a roll and tip method to repaint the boat
with Awlgrip or similar.

First, you are going to need to strip waxes, old chalky coats of
whatever off the boat - wash it throughly - sand it (doesn't have to
be a deep sanding - 80 wet sanding will be good enough - then it's a
question of rolling and tipping the paint.

It's not a hard project, but it will take time if you are doing it
yourself. Or if you don't have experience with epoxy paints.

Later,

Tom

steve620

wrote:

[...]

Just looking to refresh the paint

--
Posted using the http://www.boatforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.boatforumz.com/Boat-Gener...pict14128.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.boatforumz.com/eform.php?p=74202
steve620

Just looking to refresh the paint, other than the gelcoat the boat
looks great.
Stanley Barthfarkle

Have you tried Oxalic Acid on it yet? I use "barkeeper's friend" (wear
rubber gloves) cleanser and a teflon scrub pad for the heavy stuff, then
finish it off with polishing compound and a coat of good wax. Try a section-
you may find that there's still a good finish under all the stains and
oxidation. Gelcoat is a lot thicker than paint.

"steve620" wrote in message
I have a 18ft Baylinner with a Cuddy and I need to Gelcoat it but
never did it before. Is it hard? I don't want to mess it up. I've been
told you just roll it on like painting a house. When I told people
that I was going to let a marina do it they thought I was nuts, can
anybody give me any advice??

--
Posted using the http://www.boatforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL:
http://www.boatforumz.com/Boat-Gener...pict14128.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
http://www.boatforumz.com/eform.php?p=74189

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 08:24:38 GMT, "Stanley Barthfarkle"
wrote:

Have you tried Oxalic Acid on it yet? I use "barkeeper's friend" (wear
rubber gloves) cleanser and a teflon scrub pad for the heavy stuff, then
finish it off with polishing compound and a coat of good wax. Try a section-
you may find that there's still a good finish under all the stains and
oxidation. Gelcoat is a lot thicker than paint.

I've heard of u sing Barkeeper's Friend for just about everything
mechanical, but this is a first.

Hey, give it a try - can't hurt.

Later,

Tom

Paint and gelcoat are different animals. If you roll on true gelcoat I
can only imagine that your boat will look a lot worse than it does now.
Gelcoat doesn't 'flow' like paint, rolled on gelcoat can actually serve
as a non-skid surface. Paint that is rolled on and tipped with a brush
doesn't look like paint that is sprayed on. Picture painting your car
with a roller and brush, that's what your boat would look like. Most
likely all you need is to remove the haze as S. Barthfarkle suggests,
or with any auto or boat buffing/polishing compound, preferably with a
buffing wheel, and to then re-wax it.

Harry Krause

wrote:

I have a 18ft Baylinner with a Cuddy and I need to Gelcoat it but
never did it before. Is it hard? I don’t want to mess it up. I’ve been
told you just roll it on like painting a house. When I told people
that I was going to let a marina do it they thought I was nuts, can
anybody give me any advice??

It needs to be sprayed. And the only sprayer you can use with
gel-coat, is a Binks.