Short Wave Sportfishing

On 6 Mar 2005 13:47:18 -0500, steve620
wrote:

I have a 18ft Baylinner with a Cuddy and I need to Gelcoat it but
never did it before. Is it hard? I don’t want to mess it up. I’ve been
told you just roll it on like painting a house. When I told people
that I was going to let a marina do it they thought I was nuts, can
anybody give me any advice??

Are you looking to refresh the paint or change colors?

The normal method is to use a roll and tip method to repaint the boat
with Awlgrip or similar.

First, you are going to need to strip waxes, old chalky coats of
whatever off the boat - wash it throughly - sand it (doesn't have to
be a deep sanding - 80 wet sanding will be good enough - then it's a
question of rolling and tipping the paint.

It's not a hard project, but it will take time if you are doing it
yourself. Or if you don't have experience with epoxy paints.

Later,

Tom