Chuck

Default removing cetol from gelcoat

While applying Cetol to the teak last year I learned the hard way that
one should mask the gelcoat around the part before brushing on the
Cetol. I've tried to remove the stain from the gelcoat with acetone but
I can't say it was too successful. I'd like to hear what others have
tried and how successful they've been.

RichG

I, too have had Cetol stain some boats. Unfortunately, I don't remember what
worked or didn't and the boat is gone to a new owner. I'd try WD40. It still
amazes me what that stuff will do for sticky messes etc. --
RichG
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners
"Chuck" wrote in message
While applying Cetol to the teak last year I learned the hard way that
one should mask the gelcoat around the part before brushing on the
Cetol. I've tried to remove the stain from the gelcoat with acetone but
I can't say it was too successful. I'd like to hear what others have
tried and how successful they've been.

Steve

Chuck, the acetone is too strong and will soften the gel coat before you get
the cetol stain off.

I have been able to get small droplets off with a razor blade.

However, last season, I had an old run that had been there for a couple
years and I rubbed it off with lacquer thinner. I was surprised it worked..
Perhaps because there might have been some wax residue on the gel coat..

Also, another tip, for getting fresh or semi set 5200 off glass and gel coat
surfaces.. Mineral Spirits.. It cleans up the messy ozz-out and won't
penetrate the the sealant/adhesive or effect the seal. Also good for
cleaning your tools and hands without the hazard of acetone..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
s/v Good Intentions

Sikkens Cetol Removal Nancy Murphy General 3 April 18th 04 06:33 PM
Gelcoat Grumpy General 4 December 21st 03 07:47 PM
Removing windshield from 36' Trojan Tricabin Gary General 1 October 26th 03 10:37 PM
Gelcoat flaking on inside of hull James W. Sloan Boat Building 1 August 17th 03 07:20 PM
Sikkens Cetol Gcrothers Boat Building 2 August 11th 03 08:22 PM