Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default New 20hp Honda carb gummed up

Bought this motor last summer and have about 10-12 hours on it. Guess
I didn't get all the fuel out last time I used it so now the carb jet
is clogged (so says the dealer technician). The tech tells me it's the
only real prob with these motors for some reason or other, even when
you *think* you've run the carb dry, it's not really all outta there
(funny the salesman didn't mention it last summer), and it'll take him
a couple of hours at $75 per hour to remove the carb and clean it.

I've dismantled plenty of 2 stroke Merc and Johnson carbs so I figure
I can do this one too. But I've never done a Honda and I'd like a shop
manual or similar to go by. Problem is, Clymer et al manuals aren't
available for a motor this new ('04). And Honda doesn't make theirs
available except to authorized shops (according to this dealer).
Sooo.... anybody have any advice, warnings, or ideas? If I'm gonna be
faced with this prob for the rest of the life of this engine (so says
the tech), I might as well learn how to clean it myself.
Thanks in advance,
Rick