Default New 20hp Honda carb gummed up

Bought this motor last summer and have about 10-12 hours on it. Guess
I didn't get all the fuel out last time I used it so now the carb jet
is clogged (so says the dealer technician). The tech tells me it's the
only real prob with these motors for some reason or other, even when
you *think* you've run the carb dry, it's not really all outta there
(funny the salesman didn't mention it last summer), and it'll take him
a couple of hours at $75 per hour to remove the carb and clean it.

I've dismantled plenty of 2 stroke Merc and Johnson carbs so I figure
I can do this one too. But I've never done a Honda and I'd like a shop
manual or similar to go by. Problem is, Clymer et al manuals aren't
available for a motor this new ('04). And Honda doesn't make theirs
available except to authorized shops (according to this dealer).
Sooo.... anybody have any advice, warnings, or ideas? If I'm gonna be
faced with this prob for the rest of the life of this engine (so says
the tech), I might as well learn how to clean it myself.
Thanks in advance,
Rick
Snafu

Isn't there a screw on the bowl of the carb to drain it? My dad has a Honda
and his does. You could run some engine storage stuff (Heet?) mixed in the
last batch of fuel for the season, and then drain the bowl.

Good luck

On 2/17/05, "Snafu" wrote:
Isn't there a screw on the bowl of the carb to drain it?

Yep. That I can do. The tech tells me it won't unclog the jet though.

You could run some engine storage stuff (Heet?) mixed in the
last batch of fuel for the season, and then drain the bowl.

That'd work as a preventative measure I suppose. But now that the jet
is already clogged, the tech tells me that probably won't work to
unclog it. Might try it anyway though, before I disassemble the carb.
Couldn't hurt. Thanks.
Btw, I'm on the Gulf Coast. We don't really have an off season.
Thanks for the response,
Rick
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:57:14 -0600, lid
wrote:

[...]

Just curious - did you put fuel stabilizer in the mix before you ran
the carb out?

I'm also a little suspicious about the carb being gummed up after
10/12 hours. I've got a brand new Johnson 25 out back that I fired up
yesterday after 4 months of lay up and it lit right off - I didn't do
anything to it because I ran out of time.

I suggest two things. One, there is something wrong with the carb and
should still be under warranty - get them to fix it. It seems to me
that there could be several things wrong other than a stuck or clogged
jet. This should be a warranty deal after that short a period of
time.

Two, spray it down with a good carb cleaner first and see if that
frees things up. It not, goto Item 1.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom

On 2/18/05, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Just curious - did you put fuel stabilizer in the mix before you ran
the carb out?

Nope. I usually just hook up to a garden hose to flush when I get
home, then unplug the fuel line and let the carb run dry. We don't
really have an off season here (Gulf Coast) so I don't do any sort of
winter storage procedure. I can never predict how long the boat will
go unused though.

I'm also a little suspicious about the carb being gummed up after
10/12 hours.

That's run time though. The gummy part happens, even to a new motor,
when any fuel is left sitting in the carb for a few weeks. Three weeks
in this case.

I've got a brand new Johnson 25 out back that I fired up
yesterday after 4 months of lay up

Yuppers. I've got a '68 model 6hp Evinrude that fires right up even
after a year or two (although I am pretty good about turning it over
by hand every few months to make sure the piston hasn't frozen to the
cylinder wall). I've never had a prob with gummy carb as long as I run
the fuel out after each use. Same with an old 200hp Mariner I've had
for years. The tech tells me I might as well get used to it with this
4 stroke Honda though.

This should be a warranty deal after that short a period of
time.

If cleaning the jet doesn't resolve the issue, I agree. I'll go that
route.

Two, spray it down with a good carb cleaner first and see if that
frees things up.

Plan to do that when I get the carb apart. Mainly just to spray the
jet passage. The tech tells me it's so small you almost need a
magnifying glass to see it. Therein lies the "easy to clog" problem.

I have a parts list (drawings) for my other motors. I wish I could get
one for the Honda. For taking things apart and putting them back
together, those parts blow ups are as handy as a shop manual imho.

Good luck.

Thanks.
and thanks for the come back.

Rick

On 2/18/05, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Honda rep visited. He asked if
there was going to be a Honda school or in-service seminar and the
Honda rep said (as reported) "Honda's never break - there's no need
for schools".

LoL!... funny. Must have been a rep from their sales division. Sounds
like a typical response meaning, "I don't know" or "Let's change the
subject".

Went back by the dealer today and asked for a parts catalog.
Basically got the run around and a long involved excuse encompassing
everything from Federal EPA regulations to liability concerns ...
oddly enough he didn't mention possible warranty violations like I
expected. But they finally gave me the phone number for Honda's
Cusomer Relations Dept. So I called the number, drilled down through
a recorded menu, and was eventually told in the taped message that a
parts catalog can be ordered through any dealer LoL! So now I'm back
to square one. I guess now I'll try a different dealer. Maybe even let
'em listen to Honda's own menu. We'll see what happens next.

Rick
Sergio Ramirez

wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried their website? http://www.honda-marine.com

I just visited their site and they seem to have service manuals for sale
there (or at least a link to where you can get it).

Sergio