Ed

Default News reader

Since my last post on news reader, Ive been trying getting the news
groups updates via email from aol. It seems that getting it via google
into aol email, some of the posts seems to not show up.
Being new to this news group stuff, can someone explain to me how a
news group reader works ? Are there any free downloads programs? I like
getting it in my email but AOL and Google has no filters available and
seems i dont get all the posts.

Thanks for any information.

Ed

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 17 Feb 2005 07:07:06 -0800, "Ed" wrote:

Since my last post on news reader, Ive been trying getting the news
groups updates via email from aol. It seems that getting it via google
into aol email, some of the posts seems to not show up.
Being new to this news group stuff, can someone explain to me how a
news group reader works ? Are there any free downloads programs? I like
getting it in my email but AOL and Google has no filters available and
seems i dont get all the posts.

If you are just using AOL for email access, then no.

Free Agent is a good email/newsreader - simple to set up and it will
do some tricks others won't.

Mozilla Thunderbird is also a good email/newsreader, but it does have
some rather interesting bugs which only appear when dealing with
Outlook Express. The ordinary guy probably won't notice them, but
nimrods like me will find them quickly.

Hey, it's still in development.

Those are two stable newsreader programs out there. There are some
others, but they are mainly for geeks - specifically Xnews which is
about as nerdy as they come.

I think Harry's point about dumping AOL is very important - AOL sin't
the best provider out there.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
John H

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:34:40 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:23:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On 17 Feb 2005 07:07:06 -0800, "Ed" wrote:

Being new to this news group stuff, can someone explain to me how a
news group reader works ? Are there any free downloads programs? I like
getting it in my email but AOL and Google has no filters available and
seems i dont get all the posts.

Free Agent is a good email/newsreader - simple to set up and it will
do some tricks others won't.

I think Agent is about the best out there.....

Free Agent is fine, but lacks filters. The purchased Agent is easy to
use and is loaded with extra features that can be employed as the user
gains more experience and becomes a more sophisticated news-grouper...

I agree. The purchased Agent ($29 ??) is well worth the price. It's one of the
most stable, useful programs I've ever used.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
Ed

Hi all, thanks for all the information, I downloaded mozilla
thunderbird and found out that AOL does allow 3rd party software now.
Its working great now im trying out the filters to see how it works. I
am going to look at changing ISP in the near future as I agree its AOL
isnt the best provider out there.