Larry Weiss

Default rec.boats participatants down 32% in 2003

No kidding. Only 3,603 people posted something to rec.boats in 2003.
5,336 people participated on rec.boats in 2002.

Other stats: 63152 posts in 2002, 57,985 posts in 2003, down 8%.

Stat of least surprise: Of the top five newsgroups that shared rec.boats
cross-posts, the top four were political groups. rec.boats.cruising
came in number 5.

Other great rec.boats stats can be found he
http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...hFor=rec.boats

or, if that's too long or doesn't work try:
http://tinyurl.com/35kvd

While you are there, you can check out the 40 largest threads and the
most consistently present authors. Interesting stuff!

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"
"a little after..."
"often lurking - occasionally posting"

Gould 0738

Interesting site.

Plug in a few other NG's while there, and you will see that the trend is the
same for almost all.

rec.boats.cruising dropped from 3832
"people" (still don't know what they mean by that number) in year 2000 to 2133
in 2003.

rec.boats dropped from 6754 in the year 2000 to 3603 in 2003.

The only time participation went up in the years I looked at was betwen 1999
(1713 people) and 2000 (6754)

Good point about the cross posts. In 2000, there were really no cross-posts
between political groups. Now, the majority of the posts are cross-posted to
political sites.

The 3603 "people" number is confusing.
According to that figure, if nobody contributed twice, there would still be ten
new people a day here. Ain't happening.

But in any event, I think the NG format hasn't turned out to be everything some
of the intital participants, in all groups, hoped it might become. The
anonymity brings out the worst in a lot of people- making the NG experience
unpleasant for most.

How long would most people put up with being called the names we call one
another around here or be willing to endure
watching various packs of dogs attacking one another? Those of us who stick
around must have some very thick skin.

Jim--

"Larry Weiss" wrote in message
No kidding. Only 3,603 people posted something to rec.boats in 2003.
5,336 people participated on rec.boats in 2002.

Other stats: 63152 posts in 2002, 57,985 posts in 2003, down 8%.

Stat of least surprise: Of the top five newsgroups that shared rec.boats
cross-posts, the top four were political groups. rec.boats.cruising
came in number 5.

Other great rec.boats stats can be found he

http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...hFor=rec.boats

or, if that's too long or doesn't work try:
http://tinyurl.com/35kvd

While you are there, you can check out the 40 largest threads and the
most consistently present authors. Interesting stuff!

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"
"a little after..."
"often lurking - occasionally posting"

Interesting stuff Larry...thanks. Not surprised to see that Chuck led the
pack in posts...most likely 2300 of his 2337 posts were OT.

Jim--

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

I agree...and your man Harry is the group leader in name calling.

Gould 0738

Interesting stuff Larry...thanks. Not surprised to see that Chuck led the
pack in posts...most likely 2300 of his 2337 posts were OT.

Yawn.
More small-minded insult. It's very easy to track the content of your posts,
Jim/Dennis/?? etc.....100% are insults.
There's a badge of honor for ya- the "insult king" of rec.boats. The guy who
gets his rocks off by anonymously slamming total strangers. You can get help
for that. Your medical program might even cover it.

Here's a funny thing to do on that site.
Hit "profile" after a poster's name.

I may have posted the most here, (under a single screen name) but I'm not
active in 70+ other NG's like a few are, either.

Funny how the same group of guys is looking at NG's dealing with survivalism,
divorce, child support, and a long list of political sites. I see a trend. :-)

Jim--

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Interesting stuff Larry...thanks. Not surprised to see that Chuck led

the
pack in posts...most likely 2300 of his 2337 posts were OT.

Yawn.
More small-minded insult. It's very easy to track the content of your

posts,
Jim/Dennis/?? etc.....100% are insults.
There's a badge of honor for ya- the "insult king" of rec.boats.

Naw, that title belongs to Harry and you. If you saw what I posted as an
insult, that is your problem.

jps

In article , gould0738
@aol.com says...
Interesting site.

Plug in a few other NG's while there, and you will see that the trend is the
same for almost all.

rec.boats.cruising dropped from 3832
"people" (still don't know what they mean by that number) in year 2000 to 2133
in 2003.

rec.boats dropped from 6754 in the year 2000 to 3603 in 2003.

One factor may be that people had stopped "churning" as the ISP's called
it. That is, they stopped hopping from one service to another and found
a home somewhere.

I think hi speed DSL and cable modems had a big effect.
RG

rec.boats dropped from 6754 in the year 2000 to 3603 in 2003.

One factor may be that people had stopped "churning" as the ISP's called
it. That is, they stopped hopping from one service to another and found
a home somewhere.

I think hi speed DSL and cable modems had a big effect.

You really don't have a clue, do you? It's like you're standing in a huge
pile of your own ****, and you deduce that someone might have farted in the
next room. The "big effect", Sherlock, is the abysmal posting content of
late. It plays to a small crowd.

Proposed: "Preamble to FAQ- rec.boats" news_admin General 1 December 14th 03 03:19 PM
OT--Amazing numbers NOYB General 66 December 10th 03 09:30 PM
Bush Quotes jps General 71 November 4th 03 03:30 AM
On-Topic: rec.boats FAQ noah General 11 September 29th 03 02:38 AM