Calif Bill

"____m___~¿Ô___m____" wrote in message
news:mt9rd.5740$Hk6.861@trnddc05...
JohnH wrote:

For everyone else, sorry for the Linux rant.

I had no problems with Internet Explorer and downloaded nothing. Can't
figure out what all the fuss is about.

John H

Well just keep your virus software up to date and maybe you can keep from
having any problems. Perhaps you should consider downloading some of the
Explorer updates if you've dowmloaded nothing.

But it's your choice. Who gives a damn.
--
_______m___õ¿~___m_________________________

Only reason Linux and Unix do not get the massive virus attacks, is because
most people run MS stuff. There are security holes in UNIX and it's
varients. Maybe less than MS, but if you are a virus writer, go for the
most damage, and biggest number of targets. Biggest problem years ago, when
I was a UNIX internals expert (I built Disk drive controllers for the DEC
world) was really crappy error handling. Most drivers were written as a
college thesis or for a class, and hard to generate all the errors required
to test the driver.

Terry Spragg

____m___~¿Ô___m____ wrote:
Terry Spragg wrote:

thomas wrote:

Hello,

I put online a site about the design of a new houseboat in Belgium :
www.el-fishstick.com

We work on it for more than one year ... and it is not yet finished
I am waiting for your reactions ...
We intend to cruise all along French rivers, maybe next summer ...

Thomas Debacker

I hope you don't mean you worked on the web site for a year instead
of working on what looks like a nice narrow boat!

It would be nice, if your software vendor hadn't conscripted you in
the campaign to force everybody to buy new "forward compatible"
software every 2 years.

Your site won't display properly in netscape 7.1.

You have been duped by Gates, who seems to lack respect for legacy
users, the little guys who made him what he is, considers us all
cash cows with the cream nipple caught in his money mangle.

Like that guy who got caught in a mountain rock slip, I'll cut off
my processor before I will upgrade again. My next machine will have
factory Linux installed first. It's free and it works and it doesn't
try to obsolete every old version of itself.

A quality item used to be considered a quality item because it was
durable. Bill Gates' software is not.

Most so called 'net viruses' use windoze security holes, and even a
one line message in MS Word is 50 bytes of spyware and hyper
characters. Screw that.

Terry K

Nice canal style boat, I usually picture them in my mind as being made of
wood though. But this is a very nice boat Thomas. Thanks for sharing.

Terry K,
Why don't you spend less than $5.00 and buy a copy of Knoppix that runs from
the CD and doesn't install anything on your hard drive to check out what it
looks like? Keep in mind Knoppix runs slower because it is running from a
slow turning CD drive and decompressing the software you want to run on the
fly.
While there, spend another $.75 and get Mandrake 8.2. An older version that
will run with 64 mb of RAM. You can install it on part of the UNUSED
portion of your Window's drive. Then you can dual boot to either Windows or
Linix. For less than $6.00 you might as well take Linux for a "test drive".

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart

My "opinion" is that Mandrake is the easiest disto. to install on your hard
drive.

By the way, I didn't have any problem viewing the original posters web site
w/Linux.

For everyone else, sorry for the Linux rant.

What I can see looks like a very nice "narrow boat" even if it is wider.

Thanks for the info. I haven't kept up, I sort of burned out years
ago and can still taste the bile. Maybe I'll check it out after I
get some tires on the old boat tow truck.

I have a copy of linux, caldera.something, it was neat, but it never
wanted to marry windows, or vice vera. The child was er, clumsy
might be fair. I was going to wait until someone wrote a windows
compatibility emulator for linux that could import Gates'
exclusionary data puke directly to a linux screen. They could call
it "Screens", with a rhodent or finger, not a mouse.

Now I'm retired, I don't need to write database interfaces anymore,
so I don't.

SQL is where it should all be at, with plain text tables, etc.

Computers are just fancy telephones, now, and most people just want
"Kewl" skins. Me, I just want to be able to whittle my own and don't
like windows insularity. It's my data, why does windows not let me
do as I want? -That's rhetorical, I know why, and it's bitter.

Why doesn't computer speech command work yet? Technology staging is
why, We must all purchase flat screens, then bigger screens, then
plasma screens, then touch plasma screens, before voice is allowed
to be marketed. The microphone noise cancelling problem is solved,
if you use a time corrected steerable, displaced microphone array,
which logarithmic interferometery technlogy would also enable visual
sonar for the boating consumer. We won't see it until it is
obsolete in a military sense. Wouldn't want everyone to have one,
yet, right?

We are being screwed, slowly and deliciously, thanks to dumbing
down, gigantic corporate weasling via hypnotic TV brainwashing,
municipal flouride and big insurance, et al. The little guy is
frozen out by hi priced legal prostitutes, name stealers, and oil
executives. Our only defense is big life insurance policies, else
they'd kill us all and pick our bones.

Don't get me started on DuPont and Monsanto. Bhopal is a moral
insult to the electorate, one of many outsourcing scandals.

Oh, yeah, It's all a network of U.N. conspiracies, all right! -And
I'm just a whacko, or a whackee, I guess. Could you loosen the
straps a little, please?

I'd go sailing, but I need to get my bilge keels sharpened. The
boat's not ready for ice sailing, yet. Neither is the ice.

Terry K

Jim Carter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
That's what I want to do this winter...ice sailing on a really fast

iceboat.

Wow Harry, do you have a death wish? Have you ever tried it before? It's
really scary. I tried it on a friend's iceboat at a small lake near my
house and it damn near scared me to death! 85 kilometers per hour and he
told me that I was too slow! It felt to me like I was traveling at over 200
kph

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

____m___~¿Ô___m____

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

It's one reason, but not the only reason. The main reason is a
difference in philosophy in what to do about the security holes. In the
linux/unix world, when a hole is found that a virus can exploit, it's
plugged with a patch to close the hole. That way, no more viruses can
take advantage of it. That this is usually done before a virus even
exists to exploit the hole is a result of a) it being not as popular to
attack as MS and b) that linux is opensource so anyone can examine the
source code to easily find holes before a hacker finds it by hours and
hours of messing around. If it were more popular, there may be more of
a chance that a virus would exploit the hole before it's closed. But
once the hole is closed, no more viruses can take advantage of it and
there's no need for antivirus software.

On the other hand, with MS software there are many known holes that a
virus can exploit. They are there by design and never closed. That's
why you get virus after virus afer virus, all slightly different, that
use the same exploit. And that's why you have to keep updating your
antivirus software to handle 10's of thousands of different viruses, new
ones all the time. And that's why it's so easy to write a virus.
Because the hard part is finding the hole, and once it's known, all you
have to do is copy someone else's virus but make it slightly different
so it'll get past the antivirus software. The fact that linux/unix
closes the hole when it's found makes it much more difficult to hack
than MS.

When you look at the security bulletins that come out about holes in
Linux, 99% of them are not even something that a virus could ever take
advantage of. They almost always have something to do with allowing a
user of the system (someone who already has an account and can freely
execute programs on a system) to run malicious code that either gives
them superuser priveledge, hangs the system, etc. That kind of hole is
not an issue for most people's desktop systems where they are the only
user.

Steve

----(Applause!!!!)--- I didn't want to continue the "rant", but I couldn't
have explained it any better.
--

Terry Spragg wrote:

[...]

WOW!!,,,,,,,,I can appreciate that you have a lot on your mind,,,please
enjoy your retirement. Maybe you'll reconsider it at another time.
--
Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.