Eisboch

Default Anything 'unusual' on your menu today?

Harry Krause wrote in message

Just the usual stuff here...but I know some folks have some unsual (for
T'giving) main courses and side dishes...

How about you?

Got an recipes to share?

We are all going to my daughter's house this year. (first time in 3 years
that we've been up north for T-day)
She is doing the turkey and trimmings thing. Mrs. E. is doing the lasagna
and chestnuts cooked in red wine. Her sister always shows up with squid
braised with tomatoes and white wine.

I'll start off with a Sam Adams.

Eisboch

A passing thought:

"The most terrifying words in the English language a I'm from the
government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan

Douglas St. Clair

Hmm... I'm not quite sure. This is my first thanksgiving since I purchased
the "needs some TLC", so I'll have to report back once we leave the soup
kitchen.

--
A passing thought:

"Like you, I have been disgraced about what I've seen on TV that took
place in prison." —George W. Bush, Parkersburg, West Virginia, May 13,

2004

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:23:34 GMT, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message

Just the usual stuff here...but I know some folks have some unsual (for
T'giving) main courses and side dishes...

How about you?

Got an recipes to share?

We are all going to my daughter's house this year. (first time in 3 years
that we've been up north for T-day)
She is doing the turkey and trimmings thing. Mrs. E. is doing the lasagna
and chestnuts cooked in red wine. Her sister always shows up with squid
braised with tomatoes and white wine.

I'll start off with a Sam Adams.

We're all normal here - like not having bait in wise sauce. ;)

The kids are starting to arrive, the oldest and his wife came in late
last night, the youngest has been here since last Friday, one of the
middle ones just arrived with his girlfriend and the next oldest is in
the process of arriving with her husband.

The noise level in the main house is starting to rise to totally
unacceptable levels, thus I am closeted in my office with one of my
dogs. It is ritual. I have to play the grumpy old man for the
grandkids - they expect it. ;)

Eventually, one of the kids will knock on the door and ask if I can
help them with "something".

Tradition - can't beat it.

Later,

Tom
Joe Blizzard

"Harry Krause" wrote
I know some folks have some unsual (for
T'giving) main courses and side dishes...

Standard fare for me.

I have two sisters who are vegans. Their families are gathering in
Pittsburgh for some tasty tofu and then they'll probably head over to
Oohmahnee or somewheres to feed the turkeys.

Eisboch

Harry Krause wrote in message

Hmmmm. I love french-fried squid, but...braised squid...one of our local
restaurants has it...never tried it. Lasagna and chestnuts sounds
unusual to me. I cook everything from scratch here, even a pumpkin pie,
but it's all off the list of customer and reasonable...

Hehe - I sorta screwed that up when I wrote it. The lasagna and chestnuts
are two different dishes.

Mrs. E's sister has an unusual taste in food that is sometimes downright
disgusting. In addition to the squid, she also loves tripe and those
horrible, revolting pig's feet that come in glass bottles. YuK!

Eisboch

A passing thought:

"I've laid down the law, though, to everyone from now on about
anything that happens: no matter what time it is, wake me, even if
it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting." - Ronald Reagan

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:14:56 GMT, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message

Hmmmm. I love french-fried squid, but...braised squid...one of our local
restaurants has it...never tried it. Lasagna and chestnuts sounds
unusual to me. I cook everything from scratch here, even a pumpkin pie,
but it's all off the list of customer and reasonable...

Hehe - I sorta screwed that up when I wrote it. The lasagna and chestnuts
are two different dishes.

Mrs. E's sister has an unusual taste in food that is sometimes downright
disgusting. In addition to the squid, she also loves tripe and those
horrible, revolting pig's feet that come in glass bottles. YuK!

One of my wife's relatives has similar tastes including, I'm not
making this up, eel pie.

Disgusting.

Later,

Tom
Jim

Eisboch wrote:
Douglas St. Clair wrote in message

Hmm... I'm not quite sure. This is my first thanksgiving since I

purchased

the "needs some TLC", so I'll have to report back once we leave the soup
kitchen.

Thats funny!

Eisboch

Well I'll contribute a recipe for you

Bailey's Irish Crème Cheesecake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chocolate wafers finely crushed
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 (8 ounce) packages of softened cream cheese
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Creme
Directions:

To Make Crust: Mix together the cookie crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and
cocoa.
Add melted butter or margarine and stir until well mixed.
Pat into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.

Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 10 minutes,
set aside.

Combine cream cheese, sugar, cocoa and flour,
mixing at medium speed with electric mixer until well blended.

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Blend in the sour cream and Bailey's Irish Creme, mix on low until blended.
Pour over baked crust.

Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 10 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C)
and continue baking for 60 minutes. Remove from oven.

With a knife, loosen cake from rim of pan, let cool then remove the rim
of pan.
Chill before serving. If your cake cracks, a helpful tip is to dampen a
spatula
and smooth the top and then sprinkle with some chocolate wafer crumbs.

Makes 1 - 9 inch Springform Pan

Enjoy!
Calif Bill

wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message

Hmmmm. I love french-fried squid, but...braised squid...one of our

local
restaurants has it...never tried it. Lasagna and chestnuts sounds
unusual to me. I cook everything from scratch here, even a pumpkin pie,
but it's all off the list of customer and reasonable...

Hehe - I sorta screwed that up when I wrote it. The lasagna and chestnuts
are two different dishes.

Mrs. E's sister has an unusual taste in food that is sometimes downright
disgusting. In addition to the squid, she also loves tripe and those
horrible, revolting pig's feet that come in glass bottles. YuK!

One of my wife's relatives has similar tastes including, I'm not
making this up, eel pie.

Disgusting.

Later,

Tom

The Pig's feet are good, but Chestnuts are not high on the list. Only
Chestnuts I really liked were at a Chestnut festival in the Cinque Terre
region of Italy. They ground the chestnuts into flour and made pancakes of
them and filled with Pancetta or Fromage. Youngest Daugher and her
boyfriend arrived late last night, Made the Apple Pie yesterday and Wife
makes the Italian spinach and olive dressing for the bird today.

JohnH

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:35:07 GMT, "Calif Bill"

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Don't try this at home!

While enjoying the quietness of post Thanksgiving at a friend's house,
we decided to roast some chestnuts on the open fire in his fire place.

We went to the store, got some chestnuts, came home, and tried to
figure out how they did it in the song.

We decided to wrap them in tin foil and just lay them on one of the
flatter chunks of firewood already burning. Then we just sat there
with our toddies, all snuggled with our wives, waiting for them to get
roasted. We didn't know how long this would take, but figured a half
hour or so ought to do the trick.

About ten minutes later, all hell broke loose. The damn chestnuts
started exploding like cherry bombs. Chunks of chestnut, pieces of
tinfoil, and burning embers were flying around the room until someone
had enough sense to pull the fireplace screen closed!

That was another romantic evening turned to crap.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
O.T. 30 years ago vs. Today RGrew176 General 0 February 10th 04 03:46 PM
Got a call today. Simple Simon ASA 2 November 26th 03 02:50 AM
OT - Boot Magic Simple Simon ASA 6 November 3rd 03 08:35 PM
**FINALLY** went boating today! YEAH!!!! frank news General 0 August 14th 03 10:36 PM