Alan Parr

Default Trailering with Minivan

I have two related problems: (1) what kind of trailer would be
suitable for short (15-20 mins, around 45-50mph) hauls - accomodating
a wing keel on an S2 22, and (2) we have a 2004 Honda Odyssey which is
rated for 3500lbs with a trailer fitted with surge brakes. Is it even
feasible to trailer an S2 22 with this minivan, albeit for short
distances? The boat is 2300lbs, probably closer to 2500 with outboard,
sails etc.

My alternative is to have it professionally moved and stored, and
later installed at a friend's slip for 5 months of the year. I would
prefer to trailer it myself and store it myself in my garage's 3rd
stall were I can do maintenance etc. But I'd like to know about
trailering this boat.
DSK

Alan Parr wrote:
I have two related problems: (1) what kind of trailer would be
suitable for short (15-20 mins, around 45-50mph) hauls - accomodating
a wing keel on an S2 22, and (2) we have a 2004 Honda Odyssey which is
rated for 3500lbs with a trailer fitted with surge brakes. Is it even
feasible to trailer an S2 22 with this minivan, albeit for short
distances? The boat is 2300lbs, probably closer to 2500 with outboard,
sails etc.

My alternative is to have it professionally moved and stored, and
later installed at a friend's slip for 5 months of the year. I would
prefer to trailer it myself and store it myself in my garage's 3rd
stall were I can do maintenance etc. But I'd like to know about
trailering this boat.

If the boat & it's gear weigh 2500 lbs, then by the time you get it on a
trailer you're probably looking at well over 3500 lbs on a suitable
trailer. A problem IMHO.

For years we towed an 19' 1800# trailerable racer/cruiser with a
minivan. I weighed it at a certified truck stop scale... 2500# with
trailer, rig, motor, etc etc. The trailer had very good surge brakes. We
started with a minivan rated for 2500# and that was very anemic...
didn't like towing the boat at all. The last six years we had that boat,
we towed with a beefier minivan, with a "towing package," rated to pull
3500#. That did OK, much better on hills and at highway speed (55 - 60
mph), but did not accelerate well enough to be comfortable in traffic.

I'd recommend a heavier duty tow vehicle, one with a tow rating *at
least* ten percent above the weight you realistically expect to tow. But
for a rolling rig, you should be considering a double axle trailer with
brakes. A lot of people have said that the new computer-controlled
electric brakes are very good, my experience has all been with surge
brakes which, I heartily recommend *if* you don't mind doing the
necessary maintenance. Also my experience with old fashioned drum type
brakes has been good. An aluminum trailer will save you a lot of weight,
but be much more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Gary Warner

"Alan Parr" wrote in message
m...
I have two related problems: (1) what kind of trailer would be
suitable for short (15-20 mins, around 45-50mph) hauls - accomodating
a wing keel on an S2 22, and

Given your car situation you want brakes. Other than that if the trailer
fits the boat, takes it's weight, has it's systems in good working order
(lights, breaks, tires, etc) than it's suitable.

(2) we have a 2004 Honda Odyssey which is
rated for 3500lbs with a trailer fitted with surge brakes. Is it even
feasible to trailer an S2 22 with this minivan, albeit for short
distances? The boat is 2300lbs, probably closer to 2500 with outboard,
sails etc.

The trailer for a 2500 lb boat is most likely not more than 1000 lbs
itself. (Our very sturdy home-built trailer for our 3500 lb boat is
somewhere around 1500 lbs - and that's with dual-axels) So,
officially your 2500 boat + 1000 trailer is within your limits.

And, since you are not towing far it might be ok. To me it depends
somewhat on how often you make the trip. If you are doing it 4
times a week all year round it's worth investing in a bigger vehicle
that can handle the load with ease. If you are doing it twice a season
then use what you have. ~ Also, if you do decide to push the limit
by using your 3500lb rated vehicle to pull 3500 lbs then drive very
carefully. Leave more room between you and the next car for extra
stopping distance. Drive a little slower than you might want to.

Another question - are there hills or is it flat? If it's lots of hills you
will
really be pushing the limit. If it's all flat (or all downhill then it's
probably
ok. Also - when you make that trip are you going to have a mini-van
full of people and gear (more weight). Etc. etc.

gw

Dan Krueger

Are you just moving it or launching it? On more than one occasion, I have
pulled other people's boats out of the water. One guy had a 1-7/8" coupler so
we had to swap balls to get it done.

We keep our boats at a marina, on the trailer, with a crappy launch ramp on
site. While the total towing distance might be 1000 feet, retrieving a boat
from the water is another story. At low tide with a front-wheel drive minivan
you could run into trouble.

Dan

Alan Parr wrote:
I have two related problems: (1) what kind of trailer would be
suitable for short (15-20 mins, around 45-50mph) hauls - accomodating
a wing keel on an S2 22, and (2) we have a 2004 Honda Odyssey which is
rated for 3500lbs with a trailer fitted with surge brakes. Is it even
feasible to trailer an S2 22 with this minivan, albeit for short
distances? The boat is 2300lbs, probably closer to 2500 with outboard,
sails etc.

My alternative is to have it professionally moved and stored, and
later installed at a friend's slip for 5 months of the year. I would
prefer to trailer it myself and store it myself in my garage's 3rd
stall were I can do maintenance etc. But I'd like to know about
trailering this boat.

Floyd in Tampa

.. While the total towing distance might be 1000 feet, retrieving a boat
from the water is another story. At low tide with a front-wheel drive

minivan
you could run into trouble.

I tow a 2700# dry wt boat with a Mercury Villager that has a V6 nissan
engine. It does allright, considering that I'm probably over the 3500#
rating. I keep the overdrive locked out to reduce the load on the engine
and transmission, which doesn't help the MPG any.
Using a FWD minivan on the ramp hasn't been too bad. If it is slippery, the
only place for helpers to get on to increase traction is the entrances to
the front doors. If the ramp is wide enough, you can just turn the wheels
and go up on an angle, which reduces the direct pullout weight. If the
wheels are spinning the front can just be steered over to an angle.
I'm getting a new trailer with brakes, since you never know when some idiot
is going to pull out into that nice space you leave between you and the guy
in front.

Jeff Rigby

I'm in the electronics business and I was musing while listenting to a talk
radio broadcast and John Kerrys flip floping was mentioned and I thought to
myself; "where have I heard that before" and it came to me. There is a
logic device called a JK flipflop that I studied many years ago when
introduced to digital electronics.

Imagine that JK FlipFlop!

Strange question: trailering with a dog in the vehicle Spencer General 11 August 6th 04 12:39 PM
legal requirements for trailering 30' sailboat from U.S.->Canada ? Leanne Cruising 18 December 15th 03 05:04 PM
Trailering Mark Davis General 21 November 13th 03 10:09 PM
When trailering my boat my engine cannot be tilted all the way down. HELP!! Jack Rye General 6 August 26th 03 12:56 AM