Jack Rye

Default When trailering my boat my engine cannot be tilted all the way down. HELP!!

The tilt lever your referring to is only used at sea and temporary support.
Not during trailering. Buy a transom saver and rest your engine on that
when towing. SWIVL-EZE MARINE makes a unique transom saver that doesn't
tie the boat's outboard to the trailer. Prevents "Trailer Shock" when the
boat and trailer get out of sync. They are made to fit Mercury engines
only.

Jack

"Basspro*" wrote in message
om...
When I trailer my boat, I cannot tilt the engine all the way down due
to the trailer being too low to the ground. If I were to tilt it down
like everybody says to do, the skeg and the propeller would grind into
the pavement/road. Would it be better to tilt it slightly up but still
somewhat down for just enough clearance or would it be better to tilt
it all the way up and use the small lock lever thats built into the
engine. By the way, my engine is a Mercury 90 hp Sal****er series (2
stroke). I want to put as little stress on the transom as possible. My
idea is that if Mercury has included this safety lever it must be okay
to trailer it tilted all the way up and locked on the lever. Am I
right making this assumption?

Clams Canino

The fact is that few people trailer it all the way down. Most have it tilted
all the way up and locked with that little lever. The smartest few (and the
most anal few) use a transom saver, which *is* the best way to hold it up.

How 'bout a link to swivl-eze ???

-W

"Basspro*" wrote in message
om...
When I trailer my boat, I cannot tilt the engine all the way down due
to the trailer being too low to the ground. If I were to tilt it down
like everybody says to do, the skeg and the propeller would grind into
the pavement/road. Would it be better to tilt it slightly up but still
somewhat down for just enough clearance or would it be better to tilt
it all the way up and use the small lock lever thats built into the
engine. By the way, my engine is a Mercury 90 hp Sal****er series (2
stroke). I want to put as little stress on the transom as possible. My
idea is that if Mercury has included this safety lever it must be okay
to trailer it tilted all the way up and locked on the lever. Am I
right making this assumption?

Doug Kanter

"Mole" wrote in message
.net...
I use one...it works great. The Mercury manual says to NOT tow it using

the
rest lever.

Johnson manuals say the same thing. Most of the brackets I've seen could be
bent by a 10 year old with a pair of pliers. Not worth the risk.

Trevor Dennis

Clams Canino writes

The fact is that few people trailer it all the way down. Most have it tilted
all the way up and locked with that little lever. The smartest few (and the
most anal few) use a transom saver, which *is* the best way to hold it up.

As someone who is investigating towing a boat, are there legal
considerations about having the motor protruding beyond the rear
of the trailer?

--
Trevor Dennis
Remove s-p-a-m to email

Clams Canino

I have the same problem - compounded.

The PM-2 was designed 10 years after the extiction of the Merc tall six. I
*can't* tilt it all the way up without it hitting the splashwell. (I also
need a ski-pylon 6 inches taller to use it with a tube properly - LOL) The
little tilt lever is strong - not even the impact of the car to transom bent
it, but I can't tilt up far enough to use it.

And THEN I have your problem - the boat sits too far back on the trailer for
the aftermarket arms to reach.

So far I have a hardwood dowell stuck in the trim when towing to take the
weight off the rams. shrug

-W

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have one I sell for a hell of a lot less - about half. I think I paid

$50.00
for it. I can't use it since my trailer cross memeber is too far forward.

I am
using a wooden block until I can find a better solution.

Dan

"Jack Rye" wrote in message

The tilt lever your referring to is only used at sea and temporary

support.

Not during trailering. Buy a transom saver and rest your engine on

that
when towing. SWIVL-EZE MARINE makes a unique transom saver that

doesn't

tie the boat's outboard to the trailer. Prevents "Trailer Shock" when

the

boat and trailer get out of sync. They are made to fit Mercury engines
only.

Jack

"Basspro*" wrote in message
e.com...

When I trailer my boat, I cannot tilt the engine all the way down due
to the trailer being too low to the ground. If I were to tilt it down
like everybody says to do, the skeg and the propeller would grind into
the pavement/road. Would it be better to tilt it slightly up but still
somewhat down for just enough clearance or would it be better to tilt
it all the way up and use the small lock lever thats built into the
engine. By the way, my engine is a Mercury 90 hp Sal****er series (2
stroke). I want to put as little stress on the transom as possible. My
idea is that if Mercury has included this safety lever it must be okay
to trailer it tilted all the way up and locked on the lever. Am I
right making this assumption?

Dan Krueger

Same problem here. The wood keeps the motor at a reasonable angle but it still
doesn't move the weight to the trailer to eliminate the stress on the transom.
I have considered finding a way to attach something across the rear of the
bunks. That would allow me to use the transom saver. The catch is if I ever
forget to remove it, I'm going to drag by bow across it.

Dan

"Jack Rye" wrote in message

The tilt lever your referring to is only used at sea and temporary

support.

Not during trailering. Buy a transom saver and rest your engine on

that

when towing. SWIVL-EZE MARINE makes a unique transom saver that

doesn't

tie the boat's outboard to the trailer. Prevents "Trailer Shock" when

the

boat and trailer get out of sync. They are made to fit Mercury engines
only.

Jack

gle.com...