Leanne

Default legal requirements for trailering 30' sailboat from U.S.->Canada ?

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Trailering a 30' sloop [9' beam, 5 1/2' draft, 7500# disp] from

Florida
to Nova Scotia, what are the legal requirements to move said

craft not
only from state to state en route, but also ultimately into

Canada ?

I believe 9' is considered a wide load and would keep you off a
lot of secondary
roads if you leave the 'I' for fuel and motels. You may also have
to have to be
flagged.

Courtney Thomas

Trailering a 30' sloop [9' beam, 5 1/2' draft, 7500# disp] from Florida
to Nova Scotia, what are the legal requirements to move said craft not
only from state to state en route, but also ultimately into Canada ?

I assume each state would be controlling while transiting that state,
but if so, what would be the simplest way to know what all the
intervening requirements therefore would be ?

Expediting recommendations would also be appreciated.

--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny

Steve

Speaking in general, the 9' beam may cause you some complications.. Normal
width is 8 ft but most states allow up to 10' but with restrictions (routes,
time of day, etc.)..

Also with your 5 1/2' draft you may be close to the ~14 ft height limit..
Don't forget to measure your bowpulpit or highest life line stancion. ( I
know I didn't realize how high my bow pulpit would be until the boat was on
the transport trailer).

Just my thoughts. Sometimes I wish my boat was small enough so I could haul
it myself..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions (38', 12' beam, 13ton)

JOEANDKV

Hi---re trailering sail boat-- (semi-retired boat hauler)The 9ft beam is not a
problem (8.6 is the legal limit) At 9ft you are not going to be bothered. Max
heigth is 13.6!!!!---Make sure lights,brakes CARGO STRAPS,everything secure
especially the mast. Do not ship boat with mast on boat---use the trailer--
Strong towing vehicle--Not sure any more about going into Nova Scotia--If you
want to reply off line--could get a answer---

Larry W4CSC

I think others have answered your question, but I have one for
you.....

Why not SAIL it to Nova Scotia? If your crew is inexperienced, it
isn't hard to find experienced crew who would love to sail to Nova
Scotia if the boat is in good condition and equipped properly.

Just curious. Sailboats belong at SEA.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:17:47 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

Trailering a 30' sloop [9' beam, 5 1/2' draft, 7500# disp] from Florida
to Nova Scotia, what are the legal requirements to move said craft not
only from state to state en route, but also ultimately into Canada ?

I assume each state would be controlling while transiting that state,
but if so, what would be the simplest way to know what all the
intervening requirements therefore would be ?

Expediting recommendations would also be appreciated.

--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny
lying Oriental, NC