Larry W4CSC

Default legal requirements for trailering 30' sailboat from U.S.->Canada ?

I think others have answered your question, but I have one for
you.....

Why not SAIL it to Nova Scotia? If your crew is inexperienced, it
isn't hard to find experienced crew who would love to sail to Nova
Scotia if the boat is in good condition and equipped properly.

Just curious. Sailboats belong at SEA.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:17:47 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

Trailering a 30' sloop [9' beam, 5 1/2' draft, 7500# disp] from Florida
to Nova Scotia, what are the legal requirements to move said craft not
only from state to state en route, but also ultimately into Canada ?

I assume each state would be controlling while transiting that state,
but if so, what would be the simplest way to know what all the
intervening requirements therefore would be ?

Expediting recommendations would also be appreciated.

--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry W4CSC

I've seen many sailboats, not even dismasted, sitting on top of 950'
containerships, headed out of Charleston Harbor. Contact them at:

http://www.maersksealand.com/

wrote:

Trailering a 30' sloop [9' beam, 5 1/2' draft, 7500# disp] from Florida
to Nova Scotia, what are the legal requirements to move said craft not
only from state to state en route, but also ultimately into Canada ?

I assume each state would be controlling while transiting that state,
but if so, what would be the simplest way to know what all the
intervening requirements therefore would be ?

Expediting recommendations would also be appreciated.

--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Courtney Thomas

This is not my "real" boat but one that I'm thinking about buying. I'd
love to sail her up but she's a fixer-upper and is not ready for sailing.

But I appreciate your response and if/when I do plan to sail up [I'm in
Atlanta now and my real boat is in Oriental,NC] I'd like to contact you
regarding possible crew, since you are so close by.

Cordially,
Courtney

wrote:

[...]

Larry W4CSC

Ah, I see. She's not seaworthy. That changes it all.....

I wonder if it wouldn't be more advantageous to have the boat made
seaworthy in one of the many yards in Florida (or wherever in the
South it's located) than it is in Tax-A-Canada after you get it
there....??

Worth checking out.....There's lots of boatyards in the South. I see
lots of Canadian boats in boatyards in Charleston....for a reason?